Thursday, December 31, 2020

Last day of 2020!

 Today is the last day of this very weird bizarre year. And while there was some really bad stuff... there was also a lot of really good stuff!! I am so blessed and so grateful. I could go on and on, but... Danny seems to be doing great and we're back in work... Funny.... my awesome new farm...  I mean... those are the big things I will remember about this year. So.. yeah. I'm grateful for what 2020 has brought me. I'm sad for my friends... for those who had a bad year... but I'm grateful for all the good things. And today, I even got to sneak in a ride... in MY arena!! (okay, not entirely yet... we've only paid for 15% of it or so, but.. still!). It was supposed to rain all day but wasn't raining when I got up, so... I fed ponies and tossed hay and then came inside and changed clothes. I had promised Dan no dressage today so I went and set up some fences and then grabbed him and off we went. Of course as soon as we got IN the arena... it started to drizzle. If you could even call it that. It was more like it just... condensated. ;) It wasn't even drizzling, but after a bit, we were wet. Like the rubber mats on the barn aisle on wet days. ha! But whatever, I was already on and it wasn't super cold so... we warmed up a bit... just hunter frame, although we did do a few turn on the forehand and turn on the haunches and he did have to stay straight. Then I tried to trot through the grid twice. I have no idea how that is set up... whether it's supposed to be a trot or a canter grid... or which direction you're supposed to take it.. or if it matters??? Or maybe Dan and I just don't have the right striding to go through grids like a normal horse?? Who knows. We half trotted half cantered it both ways. ha ha. Oh well. So then we started jumping... just working on the things that Kelly had taught us. It wasn't too bad. We had some fliers...  but some good jumps. Our straightness wasn't as good as in our lesson, but it wasn't bad the entire time either. We had some straight jumps. We popped around a bit and did a few jumps in a row. I even set up the two little gate fillers as a line of skinnies and we did that. 



So then we went for a short hack because while I was wet.. it wasn't still technically raining. We hacked the neighborhood and he was a bit on edge. He even pooped right at the opening to the lake/beach. Ugh.... Dan!! And of course I forgot to go scoop it, but I'm betting the rain will wash it away before anyone goes out there. But he managed to not be sassy and we even trotted a bit at the 1080 house track. He got a little nervous again and pooped right in front of the patio swing on the edge of the lake! Seriously Dan!?!? Poor guy. It was just a spooky kind of day I guess. But he never did actually spook, so.. yay. We trotted a bit more at the end of the little track and then he politely (albeit on the muscle) powerwalked home the whole way. :) yay! Maybe we can start neighborhood riding again! Right as we got home it started to rain legitimately. Good deal. :) We made it!

So.... riding tomorrow is not looking good. It's like 90% chance of rain all day with thunderstorms, so... at least I got to ring the new year out with a ride. :) Maybe Sunday we can ring the new year in and have a nice hack. :) 








No comments:

Post a Comment