Sunday, December 20, 2020

Progress not Perfection.... Progress not Perfection.... Progress...

 Repeat... Repeat... Repeat....  Ugh. It's hard to not get caught up in the things that aren't happening. Because... me. This is the worst thing about me. I get so frustrated and then I get irritated with Dan. And he's trying. Well, most of the time. And most of the time, I'm good... I'm praising all the good... praising the try... and just keep trucking. But sometimes, it gets to me and I get frustrated and mad at him. And it's not his fault. In fact, I'm sure he's doing exactly what I'm asking him to do... which is go crooked because I'm doing it wrong. And then I feel awful that I got mad... sigh. Luckily today was better in many ways. It started out decent and I was patient and a good trainer and just kept at it. I reminded myself that it's hard for him too and progress is progress, no matter how infitestimally small it seems. But towards the end... he got super crooked again and I got frustrated and rode harsher than I should have. Sigh. I hate that. It's awful. But I got ahold of myself and we found a good place to finish on and I did NOT go back to the hard thing and go down that rabbit hole again, so... yay for that I guess. So... to focus on the good.... 

His trot was mostly sound and he is straighter. He's more into the right rein, but not 100% yet. We had a quite decent leg yield, with forward energy to the right and a fairly decent half pass. The left is still a struggle, but getting better. I was quieter with my aids today and we didn't lose the energy. While his ear tips are still a bit uneven and I can still see more of his right eye than the left when we are going left, there were times where he was legit round and into the right rein and propertly bent. We got nicer and more round and less inverted upward and downward transitions in our canters today. My butt had an easier time staying in the saddle in the canters. We had some good transitions from walk to trot to walk to trot to canter to trot to walk to canter to walk And... while the canter felt a bit slow to me, Kelli said it looked like an actual dressage canter and not a hunter canter and through and really quite round and nice. So yay for that!

We went on a nice walk afterwards and Dan was still pretty spunky and spry. We also hopped over two fences in the XC field at the end of our ride, because Dan was still bouncy and... why not?! :) 

So hopefully he forgives me for getting mad at him and being mean. Sigh...  



No comments:

Post a Comment