Thursday, October 8, 2020

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!


 So... I'm trying to not get too excited, but also geS excited. :) Dan had another shockwave this morning. Then he got a bath. I was going to clip him and then ride at home because ... well, I have an arena :) But then I really started to get the itch to go trail riding and see some of the fall foliage and Kelli wanted to ride too, so... I decided after his bath, and then after Fleck's bath, that I would just go to Ashland. It seemed a little silly to pay the $15 to use the arena, when I have one here. BUT... again... all the reasons I already stated, so off we went. Plus the arena at Ashland is level and not different depths, which is safer. We'll eventually get the arena fixed here, but not until after some other stuff gets done. So I happily paid the extra and off we went. 

We did our arena work and did our homework and he felt really good!! He felt straighter and we were able to get our leg yields, shoulder ins, and half passes better than they had been. And interestingly, today... it was easier to keep Dan in the left lead than the right, but... both canters felt a little stronger. I focused on holding the weight in my shoulder blades and keeping my elbows and arms soft and supple and following/pushing the bit to him. I focused on my weight aids and my seat aids and tried to minimally use my hand aids. And you know what?! Dan was happy! He was in front of my leg and he started to get soft and up through his back. It wasn't perfect... and it certainly isn't show ready yet, but.. it was better. And yes, maybe he was a bit heavy on the forehand and running some, but we've got to rebuild that strength. Hopefully I can keep myself in check and not over do it with him too quick. But we're having fun! And through it all I only felt like MAYBE 3 lame/hitchy steps. :) And I sort of had to use my imagination :) :) I even did two little lengthens across the diagonal and he felt much more even. YAY!!!!!! I made sure to reward all the little tries and be kind and supportive. Because... I don't want him to think my frustrations at his soundness is frustration in him. 

So then we went for a little hack. It was much shorter than I wanted but the day was getting away from me and Kelli definitely had to get back. But we at least got to do a loop and Dan also got to splash in the lake for a bit. :) 









 

 

And we had a lovely sunset too




No comments:

Post a Comment