Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Naughty pony, naughty weather

 There is bad weather brewing... I don't know if it's a hurricane again or a tropical storm, but Zeta is heading towards Louisianna. And with her she brings cluster migraines. Ugh. Luckily the pill took care of it today. I finished early! YAY! I would have tried to add more patients, but since I'm working 6 days this week.. I'll happily take the short day. I got home and met Jean and Juanita for a ride. Dan was sooooo bad. She may never invite me again. :) We started off on our hack, expecting the rain to not hit til this evening. Of course as soon as we got on it started sprinkling. But it quit quickly, so.. we carried on. Of course with the barometric changes (or maybe just because) Dan was rowdy! He was bouncy. Then it started raining... not just sprinkling. But we just kept going. Dan was bouncing... and because he's wearing slide plates and it was wet and he was occasionally bouncing into the road... it was a little unerving! I managed to keep him under control... until..he reared straight up!!! And hung there for a second or two... Um... huh.... It was long enough that I had time to wonder if his hind end was sinking in the mud or if we were about to flip or.... and then he came down. Wisely Jean offered to NOT go on the 1080 stretch... good call! Because I was going to politely bow out and head on my own way since he's turned that into a racetrack lately. (Ps.. the scarecrow was still up and none the less for the wear! phew!). I managed to mostly keep him together the rest of the way. Of course he was jigging and spinning a little.. hopefully not tearing up anyones yard too much. Eeeks! So when we got back, I decided that regardless of the fact it was now raining harder... someone needed a work out in the arena. So in we went! 

And like I told Jean... he was perfect! Well, maybe not 100% perfect... as a few times he turned to look at them or at Fleck. But he was pretty darn good. He felt super and we had some great work! We did some half pass even and if I can figure out how to use my left leg on him while half passing left, we'll be golden! He does it, but... I need to wrap him around my left leg better. We did our shallow serpentine at the canter with no issues. And he's really learning my seat aids. Like.. bending around my seat even and softening and going into the bridle. :) :) :) Then we did some lengthens and some leg yields. Then I decided there wasn't much more to work on, but... he was still fresh, so.. we did some transitions, rapid fire. Trot to walk to trot to walk to trot... then we did trot to canter to trot to canter to walk to canter to walk. The downward from the canter to the walk is tougher, especially on the right lead. But... good practice. 

Goober!! But I love him. Now to go get stalls cleaned and prepped and the barn clean because the bad weather is coming, but also Freddie is coming in the am! Good thing because those toes are getting long. 







No comments:

Post a Comment