Saturday, June 1, 2024

Home!

 Dan was in rare form this morning. He was a bit happier and definitely brighter, but... also READY TO GO HOME! He was over it. He nickered at me and then kept whuffling under his breath at me while I was talking to the docs and went to get the rig hitched up. He looked a bit less ataxic to me and seemed a bit more comfy in the front right. His swelling looked more ventral and like it had dissipated a bit. However, when we went to replace his bandage and pull his foot wraps he was cranky. He bit the poor tech (not bad, but still) and actually swung a leg at me. It was a warning shot and he didn't mean it, but still. No sir!! 

We loaded up and got on our way. He was definitely still mildly ataxic though as you could see it as he walked down the aisle and up the ramp in the trailer. I was so grateful for my trailer camera, even if it's spotty. It was nice to be able to see him and it helped me feel better that he wasn't swaying around or struggling to stay upright. I did open the side ramp window to give him more breeze as it was so hot on our way down there. Of course today was actually really quite pleasant so I probably didn't need the window down. Oh well. It created enough wind that it knocked over my camera so when I stopped for gas I fixed it. During the time I couldn't see anything, I was checking for his nose in the sideview mirror. It was so sweet because every time I was looking for him and was thinking "You okay back there buddy?" he would poke his nose out, like..."Yes mom, but thanks for checking". Awwww

We ended up making it home in 6 hours. Waze tried to save me 6 minutes by sending me around traffic off the interstate but that was a dumb idea because it sent me on a bunch of neighborhood side roads. Sigh. Not ideal for the ataxic pony. Lots of stops and turns and twists. Ugh. Oh well. 

We made it home and he unloaded safely. But he was definitely ataxic! And his poor little tricep on the right looked like it had spasmed up and was all tight. And his girth groove looked tightened up too. How bizarre?! I need to review my anatomy to see what could be causing that and how to address it. He was super glad to be home and a bit anxious about it. While I was filling up his water trough he acted like he wanted to roll so I ran out there and took him into the pasture. I didn't want him rolling in the patio and getting caught/stuck. Of course the girls immediately came up and started sniffing him. Lyric tried to bite him so he double barreled out at her. Okay, simmer down! BUT... glad you feel good enough to try and are coordinated enough to at least get somewhat off the ground without falling! 

I got everyone settled and gave him some time to chill. Then I took each girl for a quick walk and did some pillar work. I started the "walking challenge" with the riders fitness facebook page, so... if I was walking, I might as well take the girls with me. But Fleck was screaming and Dan didn't have trazadone yet, so.. we just did the culdesac briefly. Then I let Dan graze in the front yard some. No real walking as I'm sure he's exhausted but at least he got some grass. 

I'll keep praying that he rests and the inflammation improves and he gets better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment