Sunday, October 2, 2022

Another day in the woods

 I'm still a little cranky today. And to be blunt... I'm a little tired of babysitting people on trails. Well.. that's not true. I'm taking it out on them, but in reality.. I'm just tired of only trail riding. Don't get me wrong... I love it. It's gorgeous weather. I'm so grateful to God that I can still ride my horse on the trails. But, I'm starting to get frustrated and annoyed and cranky and... sad. And that means I'm taking it out on others. Yes, if I was by myself, I could trot where I wanted and go whichever way I wanted. But we're not really trotting more than 12 minutes anyways, so... why does it matter? Because I'm cranky. That's why. Sigh. 









Anyways... we met Sharon and Baylor today. Baylor was being a goober at the trailer. Dan was being super. I opted to ride bareback and in the halter with reins. We started off and Dan was being pokey again. Baylor was bouncy, so... we let them pass. Dan was okay at first but after awhile he started to get grumpy about it and kept putting his head down and then shaking it side to side and bucking. Which... is not fun bareback in a halter when he's also coughing and threatening to pull you over his head. Plus... he clearly was on the forehand and not doing proper biomechanic work. And I was worried he was going to hurt himself. I sucked it up for a bit and he would settle. Then we hit the field behind Halfshire and I thought maybe they could trot. Nope... Dan just went into the speediest on the forehand trot. And then Baylor went into a canter and then Dan did too, but also bucking with his head to the ground. ugh! I decided that maybe just walking was better. Especially since the trot made Dan cough and he sounds like he's dying. We carried on and Dan continued to sporadically pull his head down and then buck and bounce. So I finally gave up and asked if we could lead again. Luckily by then Dan had picked up the pace and Baylor had settled a little so he was happy to let Dan lead again. Some babysitter we are! Today we became the babysittee. ;) We had a nice walk and went through the big creek and then the medium creek.. cause we could.

After we got back I grabbed my pivo and went back to the arena for a little bit. I wanted to do our homework and see if after adjusting Dan yesterday I fixed the canter. Nope. Sadness. So.. no more cantering for a bit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment