Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Dan is a conundrum

I actually should have slept pretty well last night. It was just cold enough to be a perfect temperature all snuggled in my covers (No hook up). And I took a migraine pill, but.. of course, I tossed and turned. I got up at 6:45 on my own and got dressed and then sat in my truck, which was super cold! I tried to nap while I was waiting for them and finally got to the super heavy dreamy state and finally fell asleep. I woke up to a text at 10 am and then chatted to friends for a bit while I waited... and waited. Finally Dr. Adair came out and said "Your horse is a conundrum"! Apparently they had been working on him all morning. They lunged him to get his antics out and then saw that he was super lame on the right front. Like "student lame" (meaning even the students could tell what leg was lame). Sigh...  So he was working that up and it basically blocked to his foot. He did say that the left hind blocked 60% to the tendon sheath and then the rest with the fetlock so.. he suspects we'll have to inject both. But now he thinks that the right front is more primary and the left hind is secondary to the right front. Still unsure how the meniscus on the right hind plays into things, but...despite yesterday, and the lunging this morning.. they still couldn't make him lame on the right hind. So.. we decided to pull his shoe and x-ray the foot. So... a bit later, he came out and said that the x-rays were unremarkable as far as pathology, but that the angles were a bit off and his soles were thin. So... his suggestion was now.... Inject the right front coffin joint, add aluminum wedge shoes to the fronts and pour in pads, and then also inject the left hind tendon sheath and fetlock joint and then... light riding for a month or so, and recheck and see what is going on in the right hind. No hard lateral work, light canters, hills okay, but zig zag down, and trails are fine. So.. he's not back on clinics til June 29th, so I'm scheduled for July 2nd. And then I've got Dr. Laura scheduled next week to do the injections.

So finally Dan and I got to head home. And I love that truck. We went 75-80 most of the way when traffic allowed. It was awesome. And getting in and out of the gas stations was easier without the dually too. Poor Dan... I think he was so sick of being in jail and starving. He nickered at me when I came back from a bathroom break and getting food. So I gave him a carrot.

I got him home and he's supposed to be in a stall, but... I decided that instead I would give him some ace and turn him out to eat because he would be less likely to hurt himself than in his stall, where he would likely be kicking and pacing and spinning. I hope I'm not wrong. His poor fetlock is bruised already. But he got home, peed, ate grass, rolled, and then trotted around a tiny bit. Then I aced him and fed him and walked him and Fleck to the front field and he was voraciosly grazing. Then I got to come inside and clean the house because we have a showing tomorrow. And Freddie is amazing and is going to come tomorrow and redo his shoes for me. Sigh.. so much for saving money on pour in pads. BUT... better than not having to pay for shoes...






No comments:

Post a Comment