Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Because.... Dan.




So yeah.... I've been saying this a lot lately. And... I said it again yesterday. I put his fly boots on in the morning and didn't notice anything. I got home early(ish) from work but decided to go to the grocery store instead of ride. Because it was slick and rainy and all we could do was hack at the walk and I figured it wasn't worth risking a slip... and I was cranky and tired. So we didn't go ride. When I finally got out there it was like 7pm. He had pulled off both front fly boots so I fed and then pulled off his hind boots. And... OH MAN!!!! DAN!!!!!!! His left hind tendon sheath was HUGE! Like... puffier than before we injected it, and certainly puffier than it had been the last two days. Sigh... son of a ....  There wasn't any heat that I could appreciate. And he wasn't tender on it. So... I texted Dr. M and... then I heard this crazy noise in the neighbors yard. It sounded like a chicken was being attacked... or a cat was dying... Or... I don't know... some wierd death screech. It freaked me out a little bit, so I went to look. I couldn't figure it out, but the neighbors rooster was freaked out too. And of course Dan was freaked out! So he was spinning in his stall and almost jumped out through the dutch window. I let him out and then he was running laps in the mud, slipping and sliding. Front end and back end. UGH.... Seriously Dan?! But he was sound. And actually he looked really good... he was using his hocks more than I've seen before. The noise finally went away so I tried to laser Dan. Nope.. I mean... I accomplished it but it took twice as long cause he was way more wiggly. Sigh... Dr. M. wanted me to wrap it, but.. there's no way he was staying in his stall... and I was afraid to wrap him because our grass is so tall and it was wet... and he's pulled his fly boots off... and I didn't want him to pull his bandage off and/or get a bandage bow...So I put some liniment on it and turned him out. He was still sound. Sigh... 

This morning it was still puffy so I put some poultice on it and turned him back out. I debated leaving him in and wrapping it, but... I knew it would be a long day. And good thing I didn't... because it was a 12.5 hr day. And it rained most of it. So yeah.. it's still puffy. I don't think it's hot... (it's hard to tell cause it's shaved so it feels warmer by default) and I don't think he's tender. I don't think it's any better, but not any worse. I jogged him and from what I could tell while running him, he looked sound. So... I bemered it and... out again he went. 

I might try wrapping him and leaving him in tomorrow because I'll be home and can let him back out. Maybe my back on tracks?? Or maybe I'll just call Dr. M and decide if I need to bring him in. I'm paranoid it's septic arthritis, although that should be hot and lame. So yeah....  Because... Dan!. :( 

Oh, and... now, instead of getting to start our light w/t/c tomorrow... now we have to take another 3 days off. Sigh.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment