Sunday, February 2, 2020

Redemption... and some shame....

Today is a new day. And it's a better day. The sunshine certainly didn't make things worse. :) I had a lesson with Kelly today and texted her last night that maybe we needed to jump instead of dressage. So we did. She set up four jumps for me at Jess's. I sent her one of the training round videos last night. Not the worst one but.. it was bad. Really bad. So... she said that... first of all.. there was some good. She said that my leg and seat aids were on par and that my balance was with him.. not ahead or behind. And that before, he would have stopped, but he did actually go.  But... then she basically said "but for the love of all, you've GOT TO GO FORWARD HOLLY!". I mean, not really, cause she's Kelly and she's nice. Which almost made it worse. I felt like I disappointed her. Which sucks. BUT... that is ME putting my mental issues into something that isn't there... Speaking of... side not... My sister sent me a photo that Kate drew/made and it is the most perfect example of my thought tornados! Ha ha..




Anyways... Kelly basically said that he was no where near in front of my leg. Which.. I'm grateful I sent her the worst video because at first I thought I sent her the good one, so.. phew! I knew it was bad at that point. She said that I would crop him on the shoulder at the base of the fence, but that was worthless. It really accomplished nothing. So... we went to work and she reminded me yet again what works. Sigh... I think that's the part that was so disappointing for both of us. I know this.... I understand this. I just can't seem to execute it in the heat of the moment. And sure, I had lots of excuses. I was super early and then rushed.. I didn't get to jump but a few warm up fences. The warm up area was small and not great footing... I was trying to learn the darn courses...I actually kind of thought he was in front of my leg in the beginning....   Yeah.. fine, but... suck it up buttercup.. I've got to learn to ride around that. And besides, it's not that hard... what I need to do.

So.. we started off with Kelly going to get a lunge whip. Ha ha. As soon as she walked back in, Dan started cantering. :) Good boy! I think part of the problem is that Kelly does get him amped up, but I don't manage to get him like that anywhere else. I need a lunge whip holding chasing person to follow us around. Ha ha. So anyways, we got a nice canter in a circle around her but I still felt like I was pushing. So I took all leg off and stopped riding with my seat and he broke, so Kelly had to help him along. So after doing that both ways we started to jump. She helped me the first time and we went to a vertical off my circle. It was much better but he still doubted and almost chipped in. So... we tried again and this time it was awesome! He went and it was easy! Phew! So then we went the other way and did the same thing, but instead of her helping me... I tested... got a response I was happy with and off we went. And it was great. So then we did a short 1 stride. I circled and tested and my response was mediocre, so I popped him one and got a good response and off we went. And it was great! Then we talked a little bit and she had me do the slightly longer one stride. We went off and I ended up spanking him on the shoulder at take off at the in. He was fine, he jumped it and we got the 1 stride, but.. I got in trouble. I am going to owe her a beer for every time I spank him on the shoulder. We talked about why that was a no no. Basically, it's too late. I need to fix it multiple strides back. NOT the last 3 or 4 strides, and definitely not at the base of the jump. It's too little and too late at that point. So... she had me come again and stood in the corner. When I passed her, I was to hit him with the crop but behind my leg... not at the shoulder. Because hitting him behind my leg, reinforces my leg. So I did and then we had a great 1 stride. Sigh... I know these things... I joked that I would end up buying her a keg! So then we put the 4 fences together. BUT.. because we were TRAINING, she had me jump the single diagonal... then circle and test it and then do the next diagonal and then test again and circle again and then do the 1 stride. And we did. And it was all lovely! But I had to test. Luckily I didn't have to reinforce. BUT... the point is... after about 3 fences, I'll probably have to reinforce because he gets lazy. We talked about how Dan is not an easy horse, but he is a normal horse. Horses typically aren't kind enough to cover for us and go. But that Dan was smart and basically a good boy and IF I insisted, he would be good and continue to go forward. But that he was also a little lazy and I would have to test him and then reinforce as needed.

So....

  1. Above all things, he MUST MUST MUST be in front of my leg! If he's not forward and going, I cannot accomplish anything else. 
  2. If he is in front of my leg, if I sit up and tall and half halt, he will come round. So there is no reason to "make" him round. 
  3. Find 3 spots in every round to test and reinforce forward if needed. 
  4. I owe Kelly a beer every time I hit him on the shoulder. 
  5. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL GO FORWARD!!!!!!








This has a purpose Holly. Utilize it!! And... next weekend, when I show at Chatt.. I damn well better show Kelly a video of us going forward!! She even suggested that I use my dressage whip while warming up and then switch it out before I go into the jump ring. But yep.. I have GOT to get him HOT off my leg. Not just forward, but SPICY HOT!!! So... no excuses at Chatt. If I can get him going, I'll have an amazing round. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment