Sunday, February 9, 2020

Georgia Weather Woes

So.... what a weird weird week it's been. 

On Monday it was gorgeous out! Like... 60's and sunny. Tuesday and Wednesday were typical cold dreary February days... Then Thursday, it poured... like flooded multiple places poured. It was a LOT of rain. Then Friday it dried up and was gorgeous again. And then Saturday morning... I woke up and it was cold and then it snowed. Yep.... snow! Like a good amount of it. It didn't last very long and was 95% gone by the evening. So yeah... There's that.  

So... I didn't ride. Which sucks. I should have, but it kind of worked out well enough that I didn't. We were supposed to go to Chatt Hills schooling show... and we were going to do Novice. My ride times were 8:48 am for dressage, then 11:40 for stadium and 4:22 for XC. Ugh. Rather annoying, especially since I was just hauling in for the day, but... oh well. I had a ton of stuff to do too... I still haven't painted the fence (only part of it), and there is a ton of other stuff I have to do before Tuesday when we get the inspection done and professional photos done. Sigh.. And Mike is going out of town for the week, so I wanted to hang out with him. And then there was a baby shower on Sunday. So... I was sort of frustrated with the ride times, but... whatever, it would be fine. But then... after the monsoons... the Hooch flooded again and flooded the back half of the XC field... so on Friday morning they changed Novice and above to CT's only. Sigh... okay, that sucks. I really wanted to do XC, but I understand. And hey, now I have time to get home and do stuff like... paint the fence. :) Except... that afternoon, like at 5 pm.... they posted updated ride times. So... I still had 8:48 am dressage... but then they moved my stadium from 11:40 to 4:22. Wait what/!?!? Seriously?!? Why!!!!??????? So... I get it... I do understand how hard it is to orgranize that big of a show... and I understand that there was a ton of entries and they were scrambling to get it all organized and the rains messed them up too and they had to rearrange. But... I don't understand why they spaced us out so much. And it wasn't just me... it was my whole division. The people scheduled as Novice CT's before the monsoon rode at 2 pm and 4 pm. So... UGH. So then I had a little bit of a tantrum. I can't help it. I'm tired, cranky, exhausted, and stressed. I just had a hissy fit with my friends. I debated bailing... debating only going to jump stadium... and then I checked the weather. Now on top of having to be there ALL day... and keep in mind... no stall for Dan, just the trailer.. or hand grazing the beast. On top of that, now there was a snow advisory in the morning to noonish and it was supposed to be cold. So yep.. REALLY not wanting to go now. Luckily, Chatt Hills is awesome and I messaged them and they said that they wouldn't charge my card if I scratched since I wasn't sure I wanted to haul in snowy weather. Bless them. So... I scratched. Mostly just because I didn't want to stand around for 6 hours between dressage and stadium. I probably would have gone had I jumped at 11:40, but... they gave me the out, so I took it. But I did call Kelly and try to coordinate a jump lesson at least, to appease myself. Plus that way I could still accomplish things at home and still ride. 

So when I woke up Saturday (I slept in!! Because... no need to get up for my 8:48 am dressage ride now) it still wasn't snowing. But it was cold. I finally got moving enough and fed the horses. About half way through it started to snow. Big fat flakes! And then it really started coming down. :) It snowed for about 3 hours I guess. I ended up finishing feeding them and then cleaned out and organized the barn a little. Then I was cold and hungry and finally went inside. Kelly texted me right as it started to snow and we decided to cancel lessons because I wasn't sure what the roads were like. (Turns out, they probably would have been fine, but... there was some reports of icy spots near Athens, so probably the wisest decision). So then I thought well.. maybe I could go ride at Ashland and ride in the snow. I tried to get Kelli to come with me but she wouldn't. So I went inside and ate and warmed up. And then... I ended up playing on the computer. And then it stopped snowing. I hemmed and hawed about going to Ashland vs riding at home as people were posting about icy roads. I finally decided to just ride at home since Ashland would just be trail riding anyways, as the arena's were still flooded. So I got geared up and went outside and... BRRR!!! It was cold. Like.. super cold! That damp bitter cold that soaks right into your bones. So... I thought ... you know.. the snow is pretty but it's already starting to melt and get mushy. There's no more snow falling... It's cold... Dan would have to get naked and just have a quarter sheet... his blanket was wet.... Yuck. Is it really worth riding him just to walk around my pastures? I decided no and went back inside to stay warm. I ended up organizing the medicine closet and shelf... did some laundry.... and then decided to do the indoor job of replacing the bathroom floor. So... while I didn't get to ride... or show... I at least got some work on the house done. Inside work at least ;) 












No comments:

Post a Comment