Monday, November 16, 2020

Trail Riding with the Gray Boys

So...we had been trying to get Peri out on the trails for awhile... and the stars aligned. And it was a go. The plan was for me and Liz to meet earlier and take the boys out for a little spin to get some of Dan's spunk out and do some fitness work. Then Peri would meet us for a nice behaved walk. Then, Dan and I would stay out and babysit Arwyn and Kelli, as Arwyn hasn't been ridden in awhile and was semi-feral. :) Great plan!!! Sounds like a fun day! Except... I woke up and fed horses and when I went to bring Dan in... at the gate was his shoe. Without Dan. Darnit Dan!!! But you know what??? Tough! The grass should be soft enough and we can only walk if we need to. I'm not messing this up! So off we went! I'm glad we did. 

 

We got there and Liz and I headed out. We didn't have a ton of time as Peri got there early and we took longer than we thought getting ready I guess. And while it was warm and sunny all morning... once we got on, the sky started looking really dark in the XC field direction and the wind picked up. It was a little ominous. I said a quick prayer to God that he kept the bad weather away so that Peri could have a good first outing with her new guy. And He did! Because He is amazing! So Liz and I did some trotting together... then a little canter. And Dan felt great. He actually felt sounder without his left front shoe than he did with it. Either, he was a little bit sore on both and evened out, or... perhaps the change in elevation made it easier for him to stay straight on that right shoulder?? But he seemed game so I ended up jumping a small amount too! He was forward and willing and Liz even said straight!!! :) I so wanted to do more, but.... no shoe.... and didn't want to hog all of the time. Liz didn't want to jump, so afterwards we did a little trot up the hill together. Then we went to get Peri. 

 

 

It was a great ride! She met us out at the top of the XC field. :) We did a nice long walk... did some creeks... some bridges. Her boy was super! Dan was a little bouncy, but also a little sore on the harder ground. He actually even walked in the back.... mostly politely! I felt bad for him being sore, but also figured it was good training. So yay! Good day! At that point I was starting to get a little hungry and Kelli wasn't feeling well so we ended up just heading home. Dan got some magic cushion on his foot and I wrapped it with pink unicorn duct tape. Because.. if you're a twit and pull your shoe... you get pink unicorn duct tape!

When we got home... I turned him out with Funny for a little bit to see how they would do. He was super! He's such a good big brother. They were great together. And there was another pretty sunset. So all in all, a darn good day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment