Sunday, March 29, 2020

Double dipping

Today was fun... despite the frustrations too. 

I had a lesson with Kelly. She got on Dan first and got him started. She said he was really starting to try and she explained a little what she was doing. She was making sure that he really moved his barrel over (his ribcage) and changed the bend in his body before she changed directions. This allowed him to balance himself better and not fling himself. She really was working on straightness and that right hind coming up and under himself. 

So then I got on. Sigh.... so many years of bad habits and body memories... So.. here's the biggest struggle. I still feel, that when we are tracking right, that his left shoulder is slinging out to timbucktoo. My brain feels him flinging out, so I immediately shut it down with my left rein. I think I'm correct in some ways, because... I feel like he's leaning and I need to straighten him. Which I accomplish by almost counter bending him and pushing his outside shoulder in, to create a straightness in his shoulders. And that is what I've done for years... evne with Fleck. But... it's wrong. Sigh... I'm blocking that right hind from stepping up and under that way. So what Kelly wants me to do is to get more bend/flexion with his body... by really asking that right hind to come up and under, almost riding haunches out (which I can understand... that makes my brain happy), almost pulling his nose in to the inside but with a wide hand, near my knee, and allowing that outside rein. Softening and allowing but maintaining a connection. And that's where my body rebels. I just can't stop myself from locking that left rein down. It's so frustrating because I think we got a little bit where he felt amazing and wonderful and it was ... almost there, and then I softened, and he dropped into this beautiful trot. And then he loses his balance, and I panic and grab and then start trying to create it by a tight locked, even lifted, left rein. Sigh. Basically, I just need to not be so handsy on the left rein and rely more on my leg. 


But... Kelly pointed out. It's not going to change just because I will it to. I'm fighting a fight that has been going on for years. YEARS!!! I've done this with Dan when he was a baby.. I've done it with Fleck. So... trying to train my brain and body is going to be hard. Add in the fact that it's Dan's weaker side and harder for him, and... it's gonna take awhile. So... she tried to make me feel happy with our lesson and the progress. And... I am. She's right. I'm just itching to get back on and get to fixing it. 






So then, since I hadn't been able to jump in a bit, and I've been wanting to see Missy.... she invited me to jump with her and Kelly Rousey, so.. we hauled from Athens to Halfshire and jumped with them. It was fun. Nothing too exciiting or big. And... unfortunately, I started out with him behind my leg and chipping in. Repeatedly. BUT... I finally took a breath and pushed and we got some decent jumps. Nothing amazing... but we finished on a good note and it was nice to get out and jump. We took a short cool down hack and... then we came home. :) 

 (The badness).....





(the goodness!)

No comments:

Post a Comment