Thursday, March 19, 2020

Boot camp continues

So.... since UGA cancelled today, I have the day free and it is a beautiful day!  I ended up seeing one dog this morning and then I sped over to Marians for a lesson. Because yet again.. I'm terrible at time math. But it worked out.

We started off with transitions. Basically, I've got to stop nagging him with my spur into his side and lifting my heels. But it's so hard because he is just off my tempo. I constantly want to cluck at him and it drives me bananas. Marian's technique makes sense too, but it's harder for me.. being impatient. She wants me to keep my legs off and quiet.. then ask... and ask by fluttering my legs, not with the whip. She thinks the whip makes him mad and actually suck back some. And.. she is correct to a degree. But gah.. it's so frustrating! So.. we tried. And she also had us do a ton of shoulder in on the circle. Which is really hard. Especially to the left. He wants to fall in so bad that way. So... lots to work on.

So then we did a grid. It started simple but progressed to a bounce to an oxer. Which.. is hard. And it proved to be hard because he kept getting in short and chipping in. She helped him out by shortening the distance. And... I got frustrated. I mean... you're a 17 hand horse Dan! You used to leave strides out! Why are we now so short strided?!!? And... He felt more "rein lame" today which is worrisome. I don't know if it's boot camp... and he's just body sore and/or weak, or... if I'm actually making the legit lameness worse. He is still not really in front of my leg, which makes it hard to assess. Because once he's in front of my leg.. he's sound. Gah!!! Anyways.... we kept at it. And Marian made a GREAT point. Dan chipped in and I got frustrated and started to get mad and she said "NO... don't punish him. He tried... it was hard and he did it"! So yeah.. she's right. Why would I punish him for doing it when it was hard and trying. Instead I should be rewarding him for that. Maybe that's why when the going gets hard, he's quitting on me. Because I get mad at him anyways. Sigh... I suck. I'm a horrible horse trainer. But... now I realize.. so I started to reward him for trying. And then it got better. I don't know if he got more in front of my leg because I started riding harder... or because he realized it would be easier on him... or what. But it got better. He's still barely making the distances, but... he is making them...

We also worked on me. For crying out loud, I don't know WHY I cannot grasp the concept of keeping my back and shoulders up, but putting my hands down. My elbows don't want to extend. Maybe that's what I need to focus on... opening and closing my elbows... instead of pushing my hands down.. or keeping my shoulders up. It got better... but it's still so frustrating.

So yeah... I'm still giving it a month or so of boot camp to see if we can fix this. I'm still going to try to figure out if there is a medical reason. Not sure how... (I need to call Dr. Molony again). It's just.... we can't be eventers if I can't figure out how to reliably get him and keep him in front of my leg and get him back to seeking and taking me to fences. I'm not brave enough nor good enough to be able to ride him to every fence. And... it's sad... and frustrating because he used to be brave and bold. Even when we ran training at Jumping Branch... that was our best run ever! He basically took off and took me for a ride. But in a very steerable and in control-ish way. I want that horse back. I feel awful that I've broken his confidence... or that I'm continuing to ride him despite him having some pain problems potentially. Sigh...  It's sad...


No comments:

Post a Comment