Sunday, July 21, 2024

The Blues

 Today I got the blues. It was rainy again and humid. Not as hot temp wise but so freakin' humid. And I don't have my truck. And... Dan was worried today in our ride. 

 

BUT.. there was lots of good too. 

I rode him in the arena, bareback still as my saddle is with a friend. He was a good boy and we walked around a bit, did our pillar work, and then I got on to do some lateral work to help with his rehab. He was good. But when we did a turn on the haunches to the right, he got upset and his tongue came out. Sigh. Dangit. Okay.. no more of that for a bit. But the whole ride he was a little bit worried and fussy with the bit. He wasn't chompy... and he wasn't rooting.. but he did snatch at his shoulder once. I tried very hard to keep him on a long and loose rein. In fact, I spent a good few minutes in the beginning riding him "bridleless" and just using the neck rope. He did good at first but after a bit I had to resort to the bit. And he was a good boy about leg yielding and doing our serpentines. And he was happy going over the two poles. 

 

I did ask him to canter to gather information. The left lead canter was okay. Nothing exciting and I let him long and stretchy. We only did a circle before I pulled him up. When I asked for the right lead, I got the left. But on second attempt I got the right. It felt awful though. Icky and four beating and just... icky. So we only did 1/4 ish of a circle before I let him out of it. I think he was already trying to fall out of it. And then he was worried again. 

 

So we went back to walk and a little bit more of trot and then called it quits. He did feel sounder overall though. Not as wonky in the walk and the trot felt good. 

 

We hacked home via Jean's driveway but didn't go around the neighborhood as it was hot. 

Later that afternoon I dug a hole by the roundpen and sunk my birdhouse post in it with some concrete. The ponies were all so nosy and trying to "help". Goobers. And Dan and I did snuggle some today too. I still think he feels better overall. I'm just not sure why he's anxious in the arena. Does he still hurt? Is he just afraid he's going to hurt? Is he worried because he's weak? Was his neck not what was bothering him and there's still something I'm missing? Or is he just NOT wanting to do dressage anymore or arena work? I don't know... but I do know that I do need to give him some time. 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment