Thursday, January 26, 2023

Hanging in there

 Danimal is getting bored!!! He's got me a little worried and also a little bit excited. Ha! He seems like he's not been as animated lately... I haven't seen him playing as much or running or being silly. But maybe that's the gabapentin and methocarbamol? Or even the steroids? Or maybe he's still a little sore from his episode and anesthesia? I haven't adjusted him yet, because... I'm a little afraid too but also ...life...  But sometimes he seems like he's happier and more comfortable and then othertimes he's still as cranky and grumpy. And today he lifted his hind leg at me twice. So... I have no idea.

 

I was messing with the trailer and then walked out to get him. The other 3 were at the top of the hill all snoozing. But Dan had walked up and was ready at the gate. Even with me being in the trailer! Granted, I dumped feed into the trailer because I was going to practice later with Lyric, but still. That's not his usual course of action. 

 
He was happy to be haltered and we headed up the hill. He was quite willing and happy. We got into the arena and did our pillar work. He's so smart! I had my hay bag so we did clicker training today. He's getting the hang of pilar 3 quickly. He's learned that he has to keep his head turned slightly towards me when he does pillar 3. Otherwise he (especially on the right rein) appears to just throw his head and neck over to the outside and pulls his shoulder with it. Rather than engaging the shoulder muscle to lift and place it. In my brain, it seems like keeping his head straight or towards me a little will make him use that muscle. So I only rewarded when he did it with his head turned and he figured it out quickly! Smart boy! We also did our slow walking and some weight shifts. Good pony!

 
Then I turned him out and he stood at the gate for a good bit. It was like he's trying to tell me he's bored and not ready to be done yet. But... maybe I'm imagining things. He did make a "crop circle" in the sand I noticed. Ha ha... A nice big ring of foot prints with a body print in the middle. And then when I saw him later he was COVERED in wet red clay. Thanks Dan. ;)

So yeah.. I'm thinking that maybe he's feeling better overall.. in general. Or maybe he's just bored... but he seems happier and more comfortable in general. Fingers crossed and prayers being sent up all the time! I found some really fun things for us to do! An actual cattle drive!! In South Carolina. And a fun hunter pace... 

No comments:

Post a Comment