Sunday, June 4, 2023

Still worried

Hee hee. Poor Danimal! He is just sooo traumatized by the darn sprinklers!! I even thought that yesterday had put money in the bank, but... now I don't know. 

 

Hee hee.. his googley eyes!!!

We came to ride at Ashland today and he was still concerned about the sprinklers. Not panicky at least, but he kept looking up that way and didn't eat his hay while I groomed and tacked up. But he was brave and we headed to the arena. We warmed up and he was looking that way some. But when we started to trot he would be fine for a bit and then suddenly slam on the brakes, turn and stare intently up there. I just let him. I mean... make sure we're okay buddy. I get it. He was so good about everything else, why not allow him to investigate and make sure it's all still good! 

 

We had a good ride. He felt wonderful and elastic and springy and fancy. Everything just felt nice today. We even played a little bit with half pass in the trot and he was nice and loose and on a soft rein. Sure, he's not really crossing over extensively, but... it's a start! 

We did a shorter ride because he was so nice and because I had aimed to do some fitness work. So we headed for the fields. We did a few laps around XC to do the hills, including cantering around and then trotting uphill. Then we hit the trails and did the hills every chance we got and also added some trotting. He felt a tiny bit funky on the trails, but I also think it's cause he's barefoot for the first time. He felt so good in the arena I can't imagine it's anything but just a little foot tenderness on the uneven and harder ground. 

But man.. am I so grateful to have him back and happy! I've missed this so much. He's just so fun to ride!















There was a purple moth/butterfly that was hovering around us at the lake! I caught it mid flight a few times. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment