Thursday, June 29, 2023

Fancy Pants

 We braved the heat and humidity today. I probably should have waited til after dinner as it was fairly nice out (comparatively) tonight but oh well. We survived! I had ridden Lyric at Ashland this morning and came home and changed underwear.. it's humid y'all! Then I ate lunch and cooled off. Then I worked Funny and sweated through those shorts and underwear. So I came back inside and cooled off again. And this time I put on my bathing suit and my breeches. I hacked up to the arena and no one was around so I took my tank top off and rode in my bathing suit top. Much better! Still miserably hot though. So we took lots of walk breaks and did a lot of walk work. 

 

We started with some pillar work under saddle. Then we did some square turns focusing on soft aids. Then we did some lateral work at the walk. Then we picked up the stretchy trot and then after he warmed up another walk break. Then we did our trot work, with some walk breaks. We did our "collected trot" to our working trot to trot lengthens. We played with some shoulder in to E/B and then lengthen across the short diagonal. We are much better at it after the first time or two. Then we played a tiny bit with halfpass. Then we walked again. Then we did our canter work. We played with canter lengthenings, canter serpentines, and some walk to canters. We also played with getting his canter collected via only my seat and leg aids. But I had my spurs on so I had to use my half halts too! Although I think I did in my lesson too, but they were harder half halts today. We'll do no spurs the next ride or two. He was super!!!

 
We had a lot of fun and despite trying to keep it short, we rode about 40 minutes! Although a lot of walk breaks. He was so dirty and crusty that I had to hose him off before our ride! But he was definitely hot and sweaty and still dirty after too. He got a nice long rinse because WE HAVE WATER NOW!!!!!!! Good pony!! 

Oh I'm so grateful for all the fun we're getting to have again! I think he enjoys "working" too! Thanks God!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment