Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Lunging Dragons

 Today was an icky day. It's basically been drizzling rain all day and cold. And icky out. I slept in.... got ponies fed... and decided since the weather was so gross I would go watch Peri's lesson and take her a peppermint shake. When I got home, it was not raining, so I thought... yep, lets go lunge Dan real quick at least. I did put on my fleece riding pants on the off chance that maybe I would sneak in a ride too, but.. nope. 

We managed to lunge before it started raining again, although Funny and I got wet. Dan and I started out doing two laps of pillar 1 and a few tries at Pillar 3 each way. He kept trying to eat the lunge line too. I did put the cavesson with the bit in (I heated the bit up in the house before I put it on!). We started out okay, but then he grabbed the lunge line and took off. I didn't even bother trying to hold him. He ran around like an idiot for a good bit. Dragging the lunge line through all the puddles. Sigh.. thanks buddy. He did swap his leads a few times and his right lead wasn't terrible looking, although he did swap behind way late to it. And he seemed to mostly be on the left lead. I finally caught him and after that he was pretty good. I managed to get some nice trots both ways, but he is still tracking to the right of his line of travel with his right hind. I can get it a little better but not always. But he did get a nice trot both directions. I then tried the canter. Poor guy is struggling, even with the left lead. He picked the left lead up a few times but fell out of it quickly. The right lead was worse. He would get it... but could only hold it for about 3 strides max. It didn't look great either. And he picked up the left lead up front first and then swapped one of the times. I tried a few times just so I could see what I was seeing and then called it quits. No need to continue on when clearly he was unhappy. He also got a bit more worried in his mouth. Sigh... So I have no idea what the problem is. I wish my appt with Dr. Kate was before the 22nd of December, but it is what it is and nothing I can do about it. 

We went back to trotting to end on a good note and he got nice and relaxed and soft again. And then we did a good pillar 1 stretch on the hill. Good soggy boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment