Sunday, November 20, 2022

Happy Thoughts

 Today was a good day. I let my brain just.. be. I slept in. I fed ponies. Mike left for Louisiana on his motorcycle. It's Sunday. I have nothing scheduled and no one to attend to, so... I breathed. I did paperwork this morning as it was cold. Then I ate lunch and listened to some classical dressage podcasts. And then I went to go play with the ponies. 

 

The hawks were all over my pastures today and very active. It was so cool! Anyways, I started with Dan and.. my head was in a good space. Thank you for that God! I know that's mostly you. I was just.. not rushed, not frustrated, not in a hurry... So I groomed Dan and did a tiny bit of body work. He got the bemer. And then we went up to lunge. With his saddle cause I'm lazy and not carrying it or walking up and down again. 

 

He was naughty! He got loose twice and the second time he got loose somehow he managed to flip the lunge line over a fence post... then turn and go the other way... essentially lassoing himself onto the fence post. I saw the post get pulled about 1 foot in the direction before Dan came skidding to a stop. Honestly, I think I was more worried about my expensive fence than Dan at the moment. It was a bit scary though... because had Dan not stopped... I'm not sure what would have happened! And luckily Dan was not hurt or flipped or anything. (I did adjust his poll later and checked his neck). And he stopped long enough for me to unwrap the line from the post. And although he did try to get loose again, he didn't. I was a bit more determined after that! Spicy boy. But we managed to get some nice trot work where he was tracking straight! yay!

So then I got on and we rode. We did our homework. And it was good. We did our walk and trot figure 8's with haunches rigth, then haunches left. And then we did a little bit of regular trotting, focusing on the same things. Then we even did a tiny bit of leg yield which was quite nice! I also focused on "giving to the heavy and riding to the loose" reins and it does straighten him and make him more even in the connection. Cool :) 

 

We didn't ride for very long but it was cold and we had lunged and I had the other two to work, so we walked back to the barn. Good boy!




No comments:

Post a Comment