Saturday, June 11, 2022

Off to Camp!

I may be repeating myself because I'm tired. So tired. I know I'm not the only one who hates stall rest. But for the love of all ... I swear it consumes my life. Literally, this entire month has consisted of... wake up at 6 am, clean stalls, feed ponies, bemer Dan, walk Dan, go work, come home, clean stalls, feed ponies, walk Dan, shower, dinner (usually at 10 pm), stall check, bed. And then add in the fact that his stall is right outside my bedroom, sleep hasn't been great. The first week was awful. But it's better. But I am exhausted. Then add in the emotional stress... the stress from not being able to ride to release stress... and yeah. I'm done. 

So... I'm so grateful for Aubrey for taking Dan for camp while we go to the beach. I was so tempted to either cancel our beach trip (which, would have likely ended in divorce... not really, but still so not fair, and also... my poor little body needs a break), or just drug Dan even more and drug Funny and turn him out and call it a day. But Liz insisted I think of something other than those two options and I remembered Aubrey! She deals with fresh thoroughbreds all the time. She rehabs all the time. She has an appropriate small paddock! Luckily she agreed and said she could make room. Ah, bless her! That gave me light at the end of the tunnel and gave me so much more peace so that I can enjoy the beach! And that means that my pet sitter can deal with Funny and Fleck like normal which will be easier on all of them too!

So, Saturday morning I dropped Dan off at Aubreys. She was at the show so one of her barn girls met me. We unloaded his hay and stuff and I remembered the pig. Hee hee. Well... have fun with that Dan. :) I got him unloaded and he was so interested in the other horses I'm not even sure he saw the pig, who was literally in the barn aisle! We got him in a stall and he seemed happy enough. He was munching hay. Aubrey said she would turn him out at night and then bring him in for the day, so that works well. I knew Mike was waiting to go, and her help had stayed late for me, so I didn't stick around too long. Aubrey got home and turned him out and said she really liked him. Of course! :) She also said his leg looked better so yay for that. She didn't see anything alarming, which was nice to hear. She's not a vet, but she deals with a lot of injuries, so just having another person tell me she thought it was okay was helpful. 

So yep. Dan's at camp. He should be kept entertained between the pig and the other horses and riding and all the people there. And Funny and Fleck can have their routine back. And Mike and I can enjoy the beach! And then... I just hope that Fleck and Dan don't try to kill each other again when we get back. The good news is that I've got another 3 weeks of small paddock turn out before I put them all out together again, so hopefully they will settle before then. I'll just have to play around with the lanes and gating him off. Which is a pain, but not nearly as much of a pain as stall rest!

Oh, and Cindy said she would send me photos and updates when she's there, because Johnny is there now. :) 



Bye Dan, have fun at Camp :) Miss me!

No comments:

Post a Comment