Thursday, June 9, 2022

Jail Break and hopefully just minor injuries

 Freakedy Frack Dan!!!

Sigh.... technically tomorrow is 1 month post surgery. (today if you count surgery day as day 1). But I have today off, so I cheated. (Actually I cheated last night.... but he was only out for a little bit last night). I sectioned off the lane between the dog field and the middle field for Dan. I put Funny and Fleck in the middle field. Last night he was good and stayed out til midnight when I brought them in because it was about to storm. There was crazy heat lightning all around, thunder rumbles, and the wind had picked up. It was actually a little creepy and I LOVE storms. Right as I got them all in the rain started, so yay me. 

 

Anyways, this morning I put them all back out and it was such a nice day, I let them stay out for awhile. Of course at one point he was galloping back and forth. But once I brought Emma in, he seemed to settle and was just chilling. So I thought I was safe to go run some errands. I was only gone about 2 hours, if that. I pulled into the driveway and parked by the wash rack because I had gotten a bunch of horse food and dog food and cat food. And as I got out of the car, I see Dan walking into the barn from the other end. Ummm... Nope.. that is most definitely NOT where I put you! Luckily he let me walk up to him and catch him. Actually, he kind of went to his open stall on his own. I think he was hot and thirsty (but he had a full fresh trough out there). Phew! That could have been bad. He could have toured the neighborhood! I brought Funny and Fleck in too as it was getting miserably humid at this point. Then I went and looked. To close off the lane I had chained the two gates together. One of the gates was attached properly and the other was just tied with hay string. My fault... I should have known better. Of course he somehow plowed through it. Although how it was positioned I should have realized he hadn't plowed through but had probably stuck his foot in the gate and pulled back. But at the time I didn't even think to look closer at this legs. I didn't see anything major and was frantically trying to get stuff done before the beach. 



Mike and I ended up attaching the half gate with proper gate hinges, so it should be good now. Except of course one half of the gate is just bars and not the fine wire, so he could put his foot through it again. Ugh. Anyways, I fed him tonight and bemered him and when I went to turn him out, I realized his right front foot is fat and swollen and hot. He had a scrape on the inside of his cannon bone. Sigh... He was standing on it fine, but of course I can't trot him to check him. I bemered him and turned him out and told him he had to behave or he'd go back in jail and that we were half way done and it was all going to get easier from here on it... IF... HE.... WOULD....JUST .... BEHAVE!!!! And of course now I've realized that he probably put his foot into the gate and then got stuck and pulled it back out, which is why the gate was stuck how it was. I really hope that he has enough drugs on board tonight and is sore enough that he will be happy enough to just eat. Tomorrow he'll be in during the day again and then if all goes well, I'll put him back out tomorrow night and then Saturday he goes to Aubreys. I'm half tempted to just keep him at home, drug him and Funny and turn them out. I mean... maybe then he won't find new ways to hurt himself. :( Sigh. And now I'm panicking that he bowed a tendon because it looks awfully suspicious. 

Did I mention how much I HATE stall rest?? 



No comments:

Post a Comment