Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Jumping Bean! What a good boy

 Oh, I love my pony!!! He's such a star!

 Dan in the fog this morning! Because yes, it was steamy this late December morning. 

We had a jump lesson today! Jacel said we were going to work on basics and form since it was the off season. Agreed! She said that we were going to do a low wide oxer to help get a proper bascule. Not just an upright jump or a long flat jump. She said that Dan is starting to use his knees but he's still not basculing as nice as he can. We also did a grid and while the grid started as all x's, she then changed the 2nd and 3rd jumps to be bigger. She said that was to get them thinking and looking rather than just going through the motions. She said that's why the big jump courses always have one or two bigger fences.. .to keep the horses thinking and looking. Cool! I never actually thought about it, but it makes sense. 

So we started off through the grid and he was PERFECT! We were going to let him mess it up himself, but... he's a rockstar and just bounced through like a straight A student. :) So then we upped the second fence fairly big and after the grid, we were to go to the one stride. So off we went. The bigger fence caught him off guard and he knocked it. And I was too worried about the cross canter and didn't ride to my fence straight (we swooped to it). We got through it, but it wasn't ideal. So we went again. Much better this time! Dan paid attention and then I rode correctly. I rode the barrel through the turn (leg yielding essentially to move his rib cage which softens his body) and then I softened my hands a little and brought them up a little, kept my shoulder blades back, and my knees out. And it was okay. It was better. He was always a little bit chippy into the big X and then had to really reach to get out. BUT... he reached up with his withers. The second time through I thought I was going to get launched he leapt so big over it, even with the long spot. So then we added the low wide oxer, which surprised him at first, but it was fine. And then after doing that a few times, which he corrected himself and began to jump it quite nicely, we added the outside line. That got a little wonky too. Then I was asking Jacel what I was doing wrong and she pointed out that being me, I was taking things a little bit too literal. This is where I need to ride by feel.... But I get so hung up on doing what they tell me, because otherwise... why would I pay them?! But... sometimes I forget to feel and/or realize that things change. Basically... she said that yes... I do need to push my hands slightly forward to encourage him to poke his nose out a little and come up into the bridle and lift the front end. Because before, when I held him too much, I was basically pulling him onto the forehand. So in the very beginning of the lesson, I needed to do that for a few fences. But then I didn't have to because he was getting fired up and in front of my leg and in the bridle. So at that point... I just needed to be soft and following and soften.. but keep the connection. I went from softening to throwing him away again. And damn, it's such a fine line. But... I could totally tell the difference. When I thought about keeping the connection... it was PERFECT!!! We came around to the cross rail one stride to the oxer and he totally nailed it! Our striding was perfect and it didn't feel long and it was just.... perfection! YAHOO!!!! So yep... same thing as our last XC school. Don't get too soft Holly. Hold his hand. But yep.. he was on fire.. going, in front of my leg, jumping up through his withers!! And they weren't tiny fences either. YAY!

So then we went for a hack to the lake for a drink, and then around to the creek crossing and up the hill on hoot and holler and then up the hill on the XC field and finished up. Rockstar!! I can't wait to see what 2022 holds for us! If I can just get brave enough on XC. :) But dang, if I get that ride out of him... I will be brave!



 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment