Sunday, December 26, 2021

Chaos, but good work

 

Good gravy! I spent the morning doing chores and got the barn cleaned. And then finally I was ready to go ride. I walked all the way out to get Dan and then headed back in. Funny and Fleck didn't follow us, so... apparently, when I took Dan out of the gate I either forgot to close it at all or just didn't latch it fully. I was preoccupied with getting a small water bucket and a doctor pepper for my headache apparently. So I loaded Dan up and headed towards Ashland. I got to the TSC just about when Mike called and said that Eddie had texted and the horses were running in his front yard. CRAP!! Mike was at the office, so... I turned around and rushed home as quick as I could. I left Dan in the trailer. The neighbor was walking his dog and said that they had come up and said hi and sniffed noses but then one of his dogs barked and they left. He said they were down at Eddie's neighbors. So I headed that way. Luckily they were in Eddies' neighbors front yard but then by the time I got there, they had snuck back behind Eddies house. They came right up to me luckily and I got them haltered and we headed back.

  

Unfortunately Funny must have wiped out on the concrete because when I went to turn her out and saw her left side... she had road rash all down her knee, her stifle, her hock and her fetlock, and her elbow was all ripped up. Good gravy baby girl!!! So I rinsed all the blood and assessed. It was mostly just scraped up pretty good although there was a good bit of loose flesh at her elbow. At least the opening was distal so it would drain and not pocket. At this point, Fleck was screaming in the stall and Dan sounded like he was going to flip the trailer over. So I turned her out as she was ambulatory on all four. Then I realized Fleck was a hot sweaty mess but he trotted off, so I just left him. I checked on Dan and he was still standing so I decided to just go ride. Nothing was bad enough on Funny to need stitches (nor would that elbow hold stitches anyways) and she was sound enough. I mean, she was a little sore but go figure.. she had serious road rash. 

 

Of course then once Dan and I left I got all worried and freaked out, but.... we got to Ashland and Kelli did his mane. Then we rode. And he was so good! We started out with our lateral walk work and then we did our transitions. Walk to trot to walk to trot to canter to trot to canter to walk to canter to trot. He's getting better so quickly with those. Then we did some lateral work at the trot and then worked on collecting the trot some with just my seat. Ugh. I'm so out of shape... that core work had me huffing and puffing. We also played with the canter and did some three loops and some simples and some halfpass. And wow!! His canter half pass is getting SOOOO good! Granted we fall apart back at the rail but.. it's getting so good! And we did some canter work before... where I let him canter normal, then held him with my core til he collected, then let him go normal again. He's really listening. And sometimes he listens too much (ha, or I ask too much or don't support enough with leg and seat aids) and he breaks, but he's really getting good at it. To the point that I think it's helping the half pass as I felt some real wither lift! Yay! We had some good medium trots too. 

 

Afterwards we went on a short hack with Judy and Teller, her cute 4 year old Appendix, and also Kelli and Marvin. It was such a pretty day!

Luckily Funny was fine and alive when I got home. Just stiff. But she got another rinse off, some bute, and some honey antibiotic spray, so... fingers crossed it's all just superficial wounds. And the sunset was amazing tonight too! Luckily I was able to get some photos of them all. Well, not Fleck. He was in the stall. And he was still sweaty and hot so I rinsed him off since it's going to only be a low of 58 tonight. And yes... it is Dec 26th!! It's been a warm Christmas!

So.... fingers crossed that we can get a change on Dan soon because I think if I can keep him sound, this may be the year of the bronze!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment