Sunday, December 29, 2019

Jumping Lesson with Kelly

Good jump lesson..

No exfoliation Oxer... ha ha...

Thing 1: Is he in front of my leg
Thing 2: is he straight - no right drift.... do the Dub to prevent... may have to counterflex/counterbend, but make sure it's bringing his nose to the right, because bringing it to the left throws that right shoulder even more right
Thing 1.5 and 2.5: Hunker down in the saddle and stay back and behind the motion almost. Do NOT jump ahead...
Thing 3: Keep my hands low

He was good. We put money back in the bank and had some really good jumps
Oh... and...

Canter departs: KISS: As the inside shoulder comes forward, swing my outside leg back and lift my inside seat bone. Then once he is in the canter, add the inside leg to help lift and get swing! And he must go forward.. not just dribble in the transition.

There is a way to train the leg aid vs training him to "fear" me in front of the jump. So... say I'm coming around the short side of the arena, then 4 strides into the long side, I come off the rail towards the jump.... rather than wait til I'm a few strides out from the jump to use my stick..... as I come down the long side, close my leg and if no surge, Whack him with my stick. So therefore he's learning to respond to my leg... not just to jump the jump. It works because then when I close my leg 4 strides out... I get the lovely surge forward :)

Quick graze and then home


No comments:

Post a Comment