Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fate: Everything happens for a reason

So.... here's how it all started. I had lost Dewey, a Wapuzzan baby, to colic two years ago. I had been wanting another baby but couldn't find "The one". At this point, I was starting to get a little anxious about it. It was time, I was ready! So, I began the search. I found a filly that was gorgeous and everything I wanted, but she was in California. I began talking to the breeder and finally got a vetting scheduled. Unfortunately she had a club foot and I decided to not take the risk. Not for my future eventer. So back to the drawing board. Dewey's breeder did had bred his Mom back but she aborted a lovely little colt. I was heartbroken. Actually, more heartbroken than when the filly failed the vetting. So then I started considering breeding. I got pretty excited about it and even found a lovely lovely mare to lease. But then the doubt started. I thought of all the things that could go wrong, all the potential heartaches, the fact that I would have to wait another year... and what if it was solid?! So I asked God for guidance. Later that week I saw a Church sign that said "God likes suprise endings". I believe it was pertaining to the "end of the world" not happening, but I believed it was meant for me to see. So I decided that breeding was very much a surprise ending. I made my decision and was all set to order semen and get that mare checked out. But I waited... one more night. Just to make sure I was set. That night I went to bed dreaming of the dream baby.... would that lovely dark bay mare pop out what I wanted?! A dark bay baby with four white socks with spots on the socks and a big blanket. :) Well, that morning I woke up and checked my email. And I noticed an email from Deweys' breeder titled "Surprise"! hmm..... Turns out that another mare they bred to their stallion (Deweys' Dad) had foaled in the wee hours of the morning. And guess what his markings were?! Not exactly what I was picturing, but just about as close as possible. I had already boarded his sister for a friend and everyone liked her. For some reason I had talked myself out of wanting this particular baby because I wasn't sure I wanted a half Appy half Irish Sport Horse. Well... ha!! I saw the pictures of the little guy and was in love. I figured given the title of the email and the fact that he was the dream markings and great conformation and half-brother to Dewey.. it was fate. God sure has a twisted sense of humor sometimes. I spent the morning on email and was already faling in love. To make a long story less long... I ended up going to visit him at 10 days old and put down a deposit. What a great little guy. He was a shy fry,  but once he got to know me he was very much a show off. I couldn't help it. I was in love! When he was 4 months old he was weaned and I brought him home.


I'd like to keep tabs of his life as he grows up to be an event horse. I plan to keep him forever, assuming he ends up liking life as an event horse or dressage horse and we get along. This will be his baby book. Hopefuly it will be filled with fun and adventure and very little heartache or drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment