Thursday, February 22, 2024

not an abscess... but what?

 Sound.... 

lunged Mon am... sound. Lunged Tues... sound. Still struggling with canter though.

Patrick came... no sign of abscess or anything, but.. consistently reactive to toe pressure. So cut out pour in at toe and tacked shoe back on. 

Wed got home early enough so grabbed Dan to lunge. Not a happy dan. Not lame... not obviously limb lame anyways... but not a happy dan. struggling at the canter. Maybe a hint of left hind lameness still. Just... struggling. Slow.. not wanting to go. Though once I got him going and he stretched down, his trot got pretty decent. But the canter was awful.

Gave up... cried like a baby in the field next to the pasture. Let the horses eat in the roundpen. After a bit dan moseyed over and was watching me. I said hi and then he started chewing on the water trough.. then was splashing in it... then looked at me. Yes dude... thank you for entertaining me. And sigh... you do love me. I love you too sir. I did get up for a hug and he sort of tolerated it. sigh... 

added gabapentin back in and went back to BID bute... 

Took him to ashland today to ride with Kelli. Definitely better overall but still not a happy dan. sluggish... dragging his toes... having to kick him to keep him moving. wanting to stop every time I allowed it. but did everything I asked. canter right was decent. canter left... depart was odd... left a leg or picked up the wrong lead behind at first or something. cantered straight down long side then turned but then started to struggle... I kept him going but then he got mad, put his head down, and was upset. I let him stop and... walked around a bit. trotted again and meh... still not right. 

went for a hack with kelli. much happier on the trails. more forward but... almost felt neuro at times. Like..he stepped on the edge of the bridge... lost a hind leg once. and when we were tacking up I went to pee and a tractor drove by and he pulled back per kelli. he managed to step on himself and cut his left hind. so after we rode we chatted and .... she helped me do a tail pull... he felt pretty weak actually.. both ways but right worse. was on 3 or 4 tracks. I have to pull harder on his head to get him to follow me. Very soft tail tone but... not so sure that's abnormal for him... but poked him in the rectum and no reaction. tried to cross his hind legs and at first he wouldn't even let me on the RH. The LH he did and stayed there a good bit but he was very concerned about the tractor... but then relaxed a little and took a minute to uncross it. Then I went back to RH and... he did let me cross it but it didn't take too long to uncross it. Sigh... so???? 

options.... 1) retire to trails 

2) treat for EPM despite negative taps/bloods

3) get Kim to inject his neck and see what happens

4) shockwave his supsensories in case it's a high suspensory and ride shortly after and see if it makes a difference

5) have kim come back out and do a full work up again, maybe blocking all up his leg... 


My worries are that... the left hind lameness that was only 12 hours of legit lameness... maybe that was letting me know very briefly that it's what's been bugging him all along??? But... wouldn't have injecting his hocks have helped a high suspensory? Sometimes it seems front end - tripping... lifting head up in the canter departs...  or is it hind end... dragging toes... lack of impulsion, difficulty cantering...  or is it some weird EPM variant since it's both ends?? Or is it just time to give up... be done... here what he's telling me... he can't... not anymore... :( 


sigh.... 









No comments:

Post a Comment