Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Who cares about dressage when jumping is this fun!?

 Ha ha.. Not really. But we did have a blast today!!! Today was lesson day with Jacel and since we're running training at Full Gallop.. Recognized!!!!! (Eeeks) we decided to do a stadium lesson for prep. We rode with Laura and Smarty who are running BN. Dan likes Smarty! 

 
We warmed up and then did a grid. It was basically ground poles to start and then she set up some small verticals. We worked our way up to a vertical, ground pole, vertical, ground pole, vertical, ground pole, vertical, all one strides. It was super helpful for Dan because it made him rock back onto his haunches and lift his front end up. He was actually jumping nicely up through his withers and shoulders without the jumps having to be over 3'. 

 

So then Laura and Smarty did a course a few times and we watched. They looked great. Then Jacel set the jumps up for me and had us do it. We decided for Dan that we would start with the grid every time because it helped me get the feel for "riding his hocks" and getting him to jump up and thus, I could keep the feel. Laura did it first but then also reversed the course and did it backwards. But we didn't reverse it. At first, I rode the grid fine but then the course I started getting too handsy. I equated "riding his hocks" with shutting him down or holding. But then I fixed it! I was able to keep him bouncy but send him forward. It was MUCH better. And he even started getting his changes too. Well, duh, because his balance was better. We only did the course 3 times I think. The first time was pretty awful. I was holding but he did it. The second time was better but still had some struggles - we were cross cantering to some and the distance was just not there for the stone wall. But then the third time.. we nailed it! And Jacel snuck that last oxer up to 3'7"! That's prelim!!! Whoo hooo!! He was having fun too! And tucking those knees!






 

We quit with that because... it was awesome! Then Laura and I went on a short hack. It was getting chilly with the sun going down. Dan had fun out on the trail too. He was even a hair snuggly when I untacked him. Good boy!

Now instead of just panicking about the horse show, I'm getting a bit excited too! Although apparently it's supposed to rain. Ugh!





No comments:

Post a Comment