Thursday, July 22, 2021

Phew!!! But eeek!!

 So.... what a day! Today was a day off, so I actually slept in a little bit! It was foggy when I woke up and even a hair cool. HA! Not for long! By the time I fed it was humid and muggy. I even got to eat a bowl of cereal! Then I called the vet to see about getting Funny and Fleck looked at. Of course her leg looked better this morning but I figured I could always cancel my appointment if she was better after another day or two of SMZ's. Then I messaged Keelin again and she said she could see Dan August 3rd. Which.. isn't too far away, but... I was still worried about the hind end. So then Dr Barrows called back and said she could come this afternoon. So okay. :) There yah go. I also called about my trailer and never got a reply. Sigh. So then I went and lopped limbs off the fenceline. Sweet Sassy Molassy it was hotter than heck. I literally sweated right through my shirt. I couldn't even wipe my face off because my shirt was so wet! Then I moved all the jumps out of the arena and drug it. Yay! So pretty! Then I headed back in to change out of soaking wet clothes, hydrate, and eat lunch. And then... Dr. Barrows showed up! Luckily I had changed and been fed. So we looked at Funny and... good news! Her SAA was 0 and she didn't think there was a broken splint or anything. So she suggested I just keep up the SMZs and that it was probably scratches. I asked about the other wounds but she said that she though those were older and thus, healed. She said she sees it a lot. Fair enough. And there was no heat today. And it did look less swollen already. Poor kid may just have an SMZ deficiency! Luckily she eats them in her grain! So then we x-rayed Fleck. YAY! His fracture has healed beautifully. And the gash in his jaw was actually not at the fracture site, but that part of his jaw looked good too. Hee hee. So then we were talking about Dan and whether she thought PRP or IRAP or Noltrex would be better..or just steroids... And she said she thought that Noltrex may work although she had never done it in a steroid, but that she felt like it didn't have any pain relieving effect as far as active inflammation, so she often did steroids too, after the fact. So we decided given the AEC's, we should do Dan with steroids first, then go later and add the PRP or noltrex. We also talked about renovo. And then I asked if she's look at him and maybe we just do him now. I just... didn't want to wait another 2 weeks after my ride yesterday. I feel like he was legitimately sore yesterday. So, she palpated and said the right stifle definitely had effusion. But then she checked his suspensories and he wasn't sore on the right. She got to the left and he was super reactive and sore! Consistently! Yikes! My heart sank... did I just blow a tendon in my poor horse by insisting he keep jumping and jump from his hiney? Or even the dressage lesson where I insisted that he keep trying to sit and rock back? Ugh... and to be honest, I was upset at the timing. Again... before AEC's. Sigh.. but I prayed... and figured if it was an injury... then it was. We'd rehab and see what we could do when we came back. AEC's isn't the end all be all.. especially at beginner novice. But luckily... thank GOD!... there were no tears. The suspensory itself looked pretty good other than being thick. But, it was really thick. And then the tissue underneath it was also thick. So she said she suspected "compartmentalization" disease... basically the thickness/swelling was squishing it and making him tender. So.... okay! That sounds promising. How do we treat it? She said laser (or bemer, since my laser is smoking!), rest for a week, then light riding (no jumping) for another week at least, and equiox. We made a plan to recheck the Tuesday before the Golden Oldy league challenge, so... hopefully I can get a jump lesson that Tuesday if he checks out and then we can go run XC that weekend. EEEKKS, but.. he'll be fine. He knows his job. Maybe I can get a lesson at Ashland and pop over some XC and stadium. So then... I figured, since he was going to be rested for a week... why not go ahead and inject his stifles now too. That way I didn't have to give him time off again in 2 weeks. So we did. 

So.. no riding for a week. Ugh. But.. that's okay. It means I can go to the lake with Mike on Sunday and get the arena mirrors and electric fence done Saturday. And next Tuesday... I'll find ways to entertain myself. Besides, I don't have my trailer anyways. ;) So... fingers crossed we can manage this long term too. 

Poor guy. He really is such a good boy for trying and doing for me despite being ouchy. I love him!







No comments:

Post a Comment