Thursday, July 1, 2021

Fun Day!

 Both Dan and I were missing riding with friends. It's been awhile. And the last two times I took him to the lake he didn't even want to splash. So, since none of my friends could join me today, and since I had done dressage the last two rides, and because it was a gorgeous day...  I took him and Funny to Ashland to hack. And it was an awesome adventure! I'm so glad we did it. We had a blast!

I got Dan loaded and Funny was so brave and pretty much went straight on. She got her front feet on and then she was a little nervous and hesitating as she went but she never backed off and just slowly kept coming! Good girl! We haven't even practiced since our last trailer ride. I got everyone groomed and got Dan tacked up and off we went. We had a lovely 30 minute ride or so...just playing in the woods and the fields. We walked up some hills. Oh, and then we found a log to jump. It was in the path, so we had to jump it. The first time we walked over it and she was fine. So then we tried trotting. Ha ha. Poor baby girl. Twice she stopped and wouldn't go. Then the third time, she tried. She tried hard. She stopped, then reared up. Then threw her front legs down. Then she couldn't figure out the hind end and basically crawled over it with the hind end. Oh honey.... we'll teach you how to jump! Don't worry! We tried one more time and she actually trotted over it someone coordinated, so she got lots of praise. We carried on and she did the steeper big creek crossing without blinking. 


Then we got to the big creek crossing with the mini waterfall and the shenanigans started! This time... not caused by us! We met up with 3 other riders who apparently traveled through a wasp nest. Two of the horses were getting stung so they started bucking. One of the riders jumped off and the other rider fell off in the creek. The horses were panicking and the riders were a little panicked. So, Funny and Dan were like "What the heck"? And then Dan tried to get the heck out of Dodge and tried to spin and bolt. Meanwhile, I'm holding my phone because I was going to get photos over the creek, holding Dan, and holding Funny. I'm trying to get him reined in... get my phone in my pocket, and keep Funny from getting tangled. I managed, but barely. Finally I just hopped off. Well, then I almost lost Dan because he was so upset his head was way up in the air and I couldn't get the reins over his head because I couldn't reach! Eventually we got situated and then the riders crossed the creek and then started walking back home. It took Dan a few minutes to breathe, but he did. I managed to get back on and then we crossed the creek with no issues. Then we headed to the lake which was the original plan. Unfortunately, the other people were headed that way too so Dan got a little bit on edge again. But not bad. They didn't want to stay at the lake so they kept going. Yay! Pool party time for Dan and Funs. They went in and splashed a little bit and drank a little bit. Then Dan went in to his chest, stuck his face in to drink, and then .... went for a swim! It was just the short little loop about, but... Funny came with us! I'm pretty sure she swam the teeniest bit but she may have stayed on solid ground. We did it twice! hee hee. so cool!!! Dan was definitely swimming. I went underwater up to my boobs. After that, they splashed a teeny bit more and then we headed towards home. A few feet into the woods Dan shook his head and his bonnet fell off his ears! Luckily I grabbed it. But then I realized he had also lost half his bridle!!!! It was on one ear and that was it. Eeeks! I was able to grab it and shove his ear back through and get it back on. But then his figure 8 band was swinging over his nose instead of OVER his nose. Ha ha... oh well. 





I decided to go to the XC field and just walk down the bank and over the ditches while we were there. Only my dumb self decided to do the slightly bigger bank down. I figured she was so good over the baby one... why not try the slightly bigger one. Well.. it's kind of a good bit bigger! But we tried it. Keep in mind... my phone holder was soaking wet so I was holding my phone in my hand. Dan jumped down politely and as we landed, I asked him to stand as Funny hadn't jumped yet. Unfortunately, Dan turned slightly on landing and because Funny stayed up top... the lead rope had gotten under my leg and physics made it fling my heel up and it basically flipped me out of the saddle! hee hee. It was a bit hilarious but dang!! I hit the ground on my left seatbone and it hurt a bit. I jumped up... still had Funny's lead rope... and was trying to get Dan turned around so I could get back on. I lined him up to use the bank to get on and he almost jumped up the bank as I was getting on! No! And then Funny decided to be brave and jump down then... almost landing on Dan and having to duck under him. Ha ha.... CHAOS! Luckily, she missed Dan, he moved out of the way, and I was able to stay out of the way and then finagle him to where I could get on. We went to the smaller ditch and did that like normal people. Then we went to the ditch and she walked over the smallest one and next smallest one like a rock star. Then we went to the water complex and she walked right in. We moseyed around for a minute and then walked up the bank out of the water. I turned her around and she didn't even question it and walked right back down the bank into the water!! She said NO last time! I hardly even asked this time. :) So we did the other up bank and then turned back down and came down into the water again. GOOD baby girl!!! She's a full event horse now... except the whole not knowing how to actually jump. Ha ha...

So then we headed home because that was a big day! I hosed her off first and then put her in her breakaway halter and tied her to the trailer facing the hose. I parked close on purpose, and she stood there while I hosed Dan. She danced a litte, but to be fair, so did Dan when it was her turn. But she didn't pull back. Yay! Afterwards, she was climbing up the ramp while still tied to the side of the trailer and chewing on the butt bars. Just like Dan does. So, I put her on first. She took a minute, but that was it. She came up pretty quickly and stood for a few minutes while I finished up with Dan. 

I'm so proud of her!!! She took everything in stride! And I'm so glad Dan had a fun day too. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment