Daniel was naughty today! I wasn't expecting to ride because it was a big heat warning.. we had cancelled all lessons for the day even. But then.. it wasn't so bad. The humidity was way better, the temps were only as high as 91 (vs 99 yesterday!), and most importantly, there was a lovely breeze. I had ridden Funny that morning but after lunch.. I decided to take Dan out for a hack! Because.. it felt kind of nice honestly.
He was in the back corner with the girls and they were all a bit sweaty. So I hosed him off before I loaded him up. I let him graze while I turned the hose off and he cantered off down the lane again. POLES! I yelled... as he tripped over them. Then he came galloping back at me, jumping the poles like a bounce-ish. Fool! Then he trotted out the gate and down the driveway and then took off across Art's yard and then down Jean's driveway. DANIEL FLOYD BREAUX!! What on earth!!!?? At least he looked and sounded sound. Sigh... Luckily he got distracted by Jean's horses up by the cabin and was sniffing noses and squealing at them. I was able to catch him and despite the girls screaming and running the fenceline, he kept it together and we got loaded up. Fool!
We got to Ashland and I put his bareback pad on and the bosal and off we went. We just meandered around a good bit. He feels sloppy still, but maybe a bit less draggy. We had a good walk and did a little bit of trotting in a few spots. Then I wanted to challenge him just a tiny bit so we got to the smaller hay field with my walnut tree and we cantered some. He picked it right up and felt really round in the canter but after bout 15 strides he swapped behind... and then again. We ended up cantering about 3 times each directin but I kept it super short, like 10-15 strides each time. Then we trotted a tiny bit more and then we went and splashed in the lake. We walked home to cool down, although honestly.. it wasn't too bad in the woods with the shade.
I do think his topline and posture are looking better!! The shodows make it look a little worse than it is, but I do think it's better!



























No comments:
Post a Comment