We had another lesson with Linda tonight. He wa a good pony but so naughty in the beginning! We had walked our course in hand and were waiting our turn while Judy and Teller had a go and he was bored I guess. He was chewing on his lead rope and my hat. I ignored him for a bit but he got a bit more carried away so I had to get after him. Then I got on and went to warm him up before we did the course. Linda wanted us to do the whole course "blind" for practicing for the show. But... ha! She gave me so little warm up time. Okay then... off we go. She called the pattern and we did it. And it was not great. But we learned some good things.
Like... apparently I have to salute the judges! Oh! It's just like a dressage test. They ring the bell for you to start and you have to stop and salute the judges. Then you go through the start flags. Ah, I also did not know there were start and finish flags! (Or didn't remember). I did... and Linda told me to stop and I may have DQ'ed myself. Wait?? What??! Why?? She asked if I saw her aknowledge my salute. No.... She told me to make sure that the judge sees my salute because otherwise, they could miss it and not know and then I'd get disqualified. Okay... good point.
We also played with keeping him slow. He wants to run in the bull line. Jousting is more fun!! ha ha. Yes, but... I have to have time to get my pole back into the barrel buddy. We're not doing speed rounds yet! Simmer down. So she had me half halt him hard going into it and then she even had me do it at a slow walk to make a point. Then she reminded me that in general, not just in the bull line, I could use a super slow walk to make him more "on the aids". Ahhh... it is helpful. And it also is effective in the trot too. He can trot slow!! I need to use my core and my seat.We also talked about making better lines between our obstacles. And then ride those lines. It's easy to think of a line but then when we are in the heat of the moment, the next obstacle comes up quick!! (Just like in the dressage tests!).
We practiced the gate and Linda made us do it left handed too. Ooof. It was helpful but hard to get my brain to do it "backwards". It took us about 7 times to get it nice. Linda told me to slow it down and focus on moving individual body parts. Also, I have to ask for reinback with alternating legs (which seems counterintuitive). But in the dressage test, I ask him to back with right hand, right leg, then left hand, left leg. So, I should keep it the same. Except, he usually wants to swing his butt right, so I can do right hand, right leg, then right hand, right leg again. I just need to not hang and pull constantly. But slowing it down and focusing on moving what needs to move and only that body part really helps.For the livestock pen I tried to be fancy and do a turn on the forehand but Linda suggested I just stick to a nice teardrop. It'll score better because it'll be smoother and more harmonious. In other words.. our turn on the forehand isn't quite good enough to show off yet. ;)
Also, use my eyes and look where I'm going. Look at my barrel in the cloverleaf! Ha ha. She told me not to be a "hunter rider". Hee hee. Liz would be so proud because she's been trying to get me to be a hunter rider. ;)
I also need to make sure I finish each obstacle and ride my lines, instead of cutting corners and veering too soon. It's not a speed round. Yet! So keep my lines straight and steady.Then we wanted to challenge Teller since he's been herd bound, so I got off and walked Dan to the trailer while Judy ran through her course. I tied him up and left him so I could go watch Judy. He waws a good boy. Mostly. He did walk up his trailer ramp and poop. And he pawed and bit the trailer some. But then he was fine and sat there like a good western horse.
We went back in the arena and hung out after we realized Teller was behaving and didn't care. He stood quietly. And he even shifted his weight between both hinds and wasn't just resting his only right hind. So yay! I think!



No comments:
Post a Comment