Thursday, March 7, 2024

Neuro still??

 Well... today was about as pretty as it could get. The weather was PERFECT. We had the farrier for Fleck and Funny in the morning and then I had to run a few errands. And I had a lesson with Lyric at 4 pm, but... I did everything in my power to have time to hit the trails with Danomite. And while it was pretty enough that we could have stayed out ALL DAY... I had a time limit. But we did manage around an hour. 

I rode bareback because it was quicker and why not!? Kelli was there riding and she was just finishing up so we headed to the arena and waited for her to finish. I did trot Dan in the arena for one long side and he felt a bit sluggish but sound. Then Kelli was done and we headed out. It was pretty soupy out there footing wise because of all the rain, but we were just walking anyways. Although he did slip a bit, which made it hard to tell if he's still feeling neurologic or just slipping in the mud.So, I managed to get Fleck and Funny trimmed and shod and then I got my errands done and then... I snagged Dan and we headed to Ashland. I had a lesson that afternoon with Lyric so we couldn't spend all day out on the trails, but we did get to spend an hour. Worth it!

 

I rode bareback because it was quicker and why not!? Kelli was there riding and she was just finishing up so we headed to the arena and waited for her to finish. I did trot Dan in the arena for one long side and he felt a bit sluggish but sound. Then Kelli was done and we headed out. It was pretty soupy out there footing wise because of all the rain, but we were just walking anyways. Although he did slip a bit, which made it hard to tell if he's still feeling neurologic or just slipping in the mud.



The skies!!! It was so pretty! After we fnished our hack, I was tempted to try out a trot and canter to see, after Lexi had worked on him. Also, Kelli had made a comment about thinking Marvin wasn't quite right but she wanted to keep riding because... like me, this is going to be her last attempt at a vet visit. If we can't figure them out... then, we're both exhausted in all the ways from trying so hard for so long. So, she said she wanted to keep riding because she wanted to make sure that if there was anything to see, Keelin could see it. Fair... but that got me thinking... crud! Maybe I should be doing a hair more too. 



Unfortunately it was so wet out on the trails that I didn't think it was smart to try to trot and canter. So when we got back to the arena's, I snuck in there real quick. And we picked up the trot and he felt fine. Still a bit labored/sluggish, but.. sound. Then we picked up the canter tracking right, and he got about 8 strides in and then totally lost a hind leg. Like left it in Texas lost it. Sigh.. Of course he fell out of the canter. So we picked it up again and he just about face planted from tripping up front. Seriously horse?! That's pretty bad. Of course Kelli only saw the first one. Sigh.. I picked up the trot, and.. .still sound, but still not quite right. I was contemplating not trying again but Kelli mentioned maybe it's because he's not "put together". So fine...I shortened my reins and collected him and asked again and... while he didn't almost fall down again, he still was unhappy and didn't want to stay in the canter. So I quit. I guess it's not the end of the world that we're only trail walking. Clearly he's still not happy. Sigh...








No comments:

Post a Comment