Thursday, August 19, 2021

Almost rained out!

 

Today was a stressful day. It was supposed to be my day off, although I suppose I only worked today because I took another work day off to show. ;) But... I had to drive to Suwanee for two horses. Luckily I acupunctured them too, so it was more worth the drive. Then I had to get home in time to meet Taylor so she could trim Fleck and Funny. Poor Funny.. she was lame again today. Now the left front. Sigh.... Not sure if she has a bruise or another abscess??? Anyways... once Taylor left, it was so hot and miserable that I hosed all the horses off. I did Fleck first as he was still out. Then I did Dan, so he could dry while I was doing Funny and then we could ride. Well... he went and immediately rolled. So... I did Funny, and then hosed him again. But this time I put him in the cross ties. I went in and changed and then came out and tacked him up. We had someone scheduled to come give us an estimate on our bathroom and they postponed me for two days and chose this evening to show up. Mike came home from work and pulled in right as I hopped on. He was all grumpy about me "playing instead of adulting" and... pissed me off. So... I got annoyed and got off and untacked Dan to go inside and get the house clean... for the construction workers??? He doesn't even help me clean it when his Mom comes. Argh! I was so annoyed. But... basically as soon as I walked in the house... out of nowhere a huge storm blew up. It was getting dark and the wind had picked up a little but... it pounced!! Massive thunder booms and lots of lightning. It was actually borderline scary. I was reluctantly grateful that I had gotten off because we probably would have been at the top of the pasture in the arena when it hit! Sigh... so much for riding. 


 

But then.... after the construction guys left... the storm rolled out pretty quick. I checked radar and it was clear, so... I went back out and grabbed Dan (still clean this time!) and we got back on. We ended up having a pretty darn good ride! My arena is actually nicer when it's wet... it's not as deep. I guess the sand packs a little better. We had some good work. Our transitions are getting smoother and my legs were drapier today. We got some good canter to walks to canters. We got our left lead every time. We had a good counter canter. Our canter half pass was still a little sketchy, but...   We also had some nice trot half pass and leg yields and lengthenings. And then we worked on our halt through the walk with the mirrors. OH! That's handy! I could see that he was square and straight... And then I saw that while he trotted straight, and halted straight... when we did the downward to the walk, he shot right. I could keep him straight when i was trotting to walking to trotting to walking... but somehow not when I was trotting to walking to halting. I don't know how he knew the difference? We'd still halt straight though. But something we can easily work on and fix (hopefully) before AEC's to help boost our score. 

So yeah... Yay for getting it done and actually having a good ride too! And then he got a third rinse for the day. :) 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment