Saturday, May 29, 2021

Exciting news!

 Not too long ago, I asked around on facebook about installing arena mirrors.... how to, who to use, if you could do it cheaper, etc. And Dana said that I could have hers! She's put her farm up for sale and said that I could take the ones on her long side. She said one was broken in the corner, but I could have them for free! I just had to get them. Which... was not an easy task! Luckily, I know people. :) I got Mike and Josh to come help me! We managed to make it work and got the mirrors and the support systems all pulled out and back to my farm. We haven't yet put up the mirrors, but... hopefully in the next few weeks. But... y'all!!! I GET MIRRORS!!!! There are three 4'x 8' mirrors and then a fourth one but it's broken, so it's probably 4' wide and 4' long. So.. almost 30' of mirrors. How cool is that?!! It'll be super helpful doing our lateral work. So yay! It was a fun day hanging with Mike too. And Josh is a great guy. 

We managed to finish up by 5:30 so I was able to go for a ride. I opted to ride at home because it was getting late and tomorrow morning we're going to Ashland for Funny's birthday adventure. I walked Dan up to the arena and let him through the gate from the ground. Which meant I was able to keep Funny out! Hee hee. She was PISSED! She went bucking and farting off and ran around for a good bit before she gave up and went to grazing. Dan was wonderful and ignored her. 

We worked on our walk and did our warm up. Turn on the haunches, turn on the forehand, leg yield, shoulder in, haunches in... all at the walk. Then we trotted and cantered and got some nice straight work. Then we did haunches in and shoulder in at the trot and some half pass. Then we did some canter work and worked on collecting it. It was hard! He kept wanting to swap for some reason... when I collected him that much he either broke or wanted to swap, but we did manage to get some good work. I had to really focus on my body aids and keeping the bend, thus keeping his neck supple. We had what felt like good moments. After the canter, we went to the trot, which is easier after the canter. And got some good work. He still doesn't really want to quicken the hind feet, especially without someone encouraging him with a whip. But we got some sit and lift. Then we did some lateral work at the trot and canter. And guess what?!?! While we struggled with the counter canter, and we broke once, we did actually get a pretty decent canter half pass both ways!!!!! Yahooo!! Then we got a good half pass at the trot both ways, and then we did a lengthen at the trot... then tried for a few steps of "piaffe"... in an effort to collect. And then we quit! He was so good. I wanted to reward him, but because he was so good, he was so fun, and I wanted to keep enjoying it. But I was good and we quit.  :) 

Good pony!






No comments:

Post a Comment