Saturday, January 25, 2020

Well......

So... vet day today. I noticed a lump on Fleck's sheath the day after Christmas and it was still there mid January, so I panicked and made an appointment for him to get that looked at and removed if necessary. I know... I know. It looked like a bug bite but it didn't go away! And then, because he's such a pansy about sedation and getting his teeth done, I figured I would do it all at once. So... since I was taking him in, I figured it wouldn't hurt to do a lameness check to keep tabs on things with Dan. And... good thing, because now I'm convinced he has ulcers again too. BUT... I didn't want to starve him overnight and make him hangry for the lameness, so... I more just wanted to pick Dr. Laura's brain and see what she thought. 

Unfortunately it was pouring rain most of the day, so even if I had been able to sneak in a ride before or after.. it wasn't happening. We got there at 11, which was a nicer drive than getting there at 10. :) Flecky went first and luckily his lump was just a little hematoma from a bug bite or spider bite or something. Poor guy. They ultrasounded it and it was just fluid, so we left it alone. And Dr. Laura was awesome and barely sedated Flecky since I told her he likes to try to fall down with sedation. And he was fussy getting his teeth done so Tim held his head and snuggled with him and that made him much happier! So all in all, it was a nice easy day for Fleck. :) 

Then it was Dan's turn. He was in a MOOD!! The poor tech. We joked that she needed a bit suit... hazardous pay.... punching bags... He wasn't biting, just... mouthy. Typical Dan but even more fidgety than usual. Anyways... Everyone agreed that he looked much better in his weight and body! Better topline, better muscling, better and bigger hiney. :) Yay!! They also thought he looked much sounder, but that there was still a little right sided lameness. When we first lunged him... he kept cross cantering on both leads. Sigh. Huh horse?! And he was all leaning over like a motorcycle. Goober. Then we trotted and finally cantered normal canters. He was apparently lame on the right hind a little.... and then a little right front and left front, but the left front was probably secondary to the right hind. So.. we flexed him. Nothing up front. Even when we flexed his shoulder, because.... I appreciate the fact that she heard me say that I *feel* it in the right front when that shoulder goes forward. But, nope, no reaction. So then we did his hocks/stifles, which also puts some pressure on his SI joint. And he was positive on the right, not so much on the left. Then we did the SI flexion. And he was UNHAPPY! Like... trying to pull back and super fussy. They couldn't even get him flexed for more than 28 seconds, and he was definitely super positive. The right side was way worse, but the left wasn't super great either. And palpating him... no real back pain.... but fairly significant lumbar pain and significant pelvic/SI/gluteal pain. Which.. is what I've found the last two times I've adjusted him, which is definitely new. So... we talked and discussed and.... decided to inject his SI joints. I'm a little worried that my not yet 9 year old who hasn't done much is already needing injections, but... he was definitely painful and definitely not feeling good. I'm hoping this does the trick and we can get back to work and manage it with good riding, good fitness, and regular acupuncture, electroacupuncture, Bemer, and chiropractic work. We also discussed ulcers, but.. she sort of thinks it's not so much ulcers as butt pain causing the grumpyness, the tongue issues, etc. Given that I'm pretty much doing everything I can for the ulcers already... I think my plan is to give him a few days and see how he does. If he gets better, then maybe it is pain.. if not, then I'll treat for ulcers. But this way (If I don't start ulcer treatment now) I'll know if he gets better because of his butt feeling better and not because his stomach feels better. So... unfortunately that means no riding this weekend.... which also means no shakerag novice junior hunt... and no XC lesson with Kelly on Sunday at Ashland which I'm sooooooo bummed about. She better come back again at a later date!


So... fingers crossed that this helps. I'm hoping that this will explain why he went SOOOOO well at Jumping Branch and then we started having issues again. I mean.. I was so ready to run most of the training course at Pine Top! I do wonder if him sliding over the fence schooling at Pine Top is what really did his SI joint in. So... hopefully this will make him feel better and I can manage him and we'll get back to rocking and rolling and conquering our demons and making progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment