Saturday, March 12, 2022

Thankful for my Tribe

  So.... today, it didn't rain, but it was a gloomy cold damp day. Cindy met me at Ashland and checked my saddle. She said he did NOT need the wider tree, so yay for that. And she tweaked it a little... it had a few dead spots. She also showed me that it needs to be farther back. So, on the right side.. the front of the saddle needs to be right behind the "crook" mark in his white marking. BEHIND IT! So now I have a marker. I told her to call me in a week and remind me. ;) ha ha! It did help though. It made it so my legs could hang better and rotate my hips in better, thus keeping my spur out of his side. Yay! 

So anyways... she watched us ride and he actually felt pretty good. He was rooty and snatched the reins a few times and did that thing where he bends his neck in half and pivots and then stops and stares. But I gave him lots of loose rein breaks and we only did short stints of work. I didn't do a ton but just focused on a soft reaching and not inverted. Cindy and Kelli (who had shown up at this point) both said he looked soft and forward and not stressed and like he was using himself well. Cindy got video. And he does look soft in parts. He looks braced in some. And he looks awfully downhill in my opinion. Sigh. So Cindy headed to go ride her pony and Kelli hung out and watched. 

I did more work and talked through some more things with Kelli. Like how I'm trying to get his "holes" in his neck base to go away but it's so hard, especially going to the left. And how I'm afraid that if I focus on that, I'm losing sight on the hind end. So we worked through it. She had some REALLY good points. She reminded me again that he gets too quick. And when he gets too quick he starts running on the forehand but when I slow my tempo and make him wait and slow his roll... he starts using himself better. She also pointed out that I really need to hold that right rein going to the left. Like, hold it more. And more. He needs to be straighter. And at first, I was annoyed, because... I am holding the right rein. But then he counterflexes so I use the inside rein to get the flexion back, and "forget" about the outside rein. But she's right. (As is Rana). I really need to hold that right outside rein and ask for suppleness through it and through bending his rib cage. Because when he does go into that right rein he is nice! But it's hard for him. And he throws me hard core to the inside, so... maybe if instead of focusing on the neck holes... If I focus on keeping that right rein consistent and firm and focus again on rotating my pelvis so that he can roll his barrel and dorsal spinous processes and bend and stand back up on that right shoulder and left shoulder evenly... he gets really nice. And it's hard... and he fights it. And he falls out of it, but... when I do that.. especially with a slower tempo, it's quite nice. We got some nice canters too, with the same principles. 

Then we talked. Kelli also agreed with Cindy that I push him too long. They both think the biggest issue we've run into recently is just fatigue. Mental and muscle. We had a long talk. And I came to some realizations. Yes he is fit. But he's not strong. And I've known this... and I've thought that I've been slowly building him up. But maybe I haven't been as slow and methodical as I think. And he's just like me. He's going to push and power through and keep going until he's fried. And then when he's fried.. he's done. I also wonder if perhaps all the building work I've been doing.. he's been "cheating" a little. And then when we added the draw reins and the german reins... he couldn't cheat. Which is the goal, but... at that point.. I thought he was fit enough to hold it for the whole ride. But he was "cheating" up until that point, so suddenly, he couldn't cheat and now he's being expected to hold it really correctly and truly the entire ride. And that's a huge jump for his fitness. And that's maybe why his tongue is coming out and he's stressing and fighting. Because he isn't ready for it. 

So... my plan is to go back to quality. Go back to slowing the tempo and focusing on straightness and correct and quality. And get it... then get out. And be happy. And quit with that. The goal will be short and sweet rides, not long rides. I'll still aim for 3rd level work, but focus more on getting quality and building strength. And I'll need help. Because I am who I am and Dan is who he is. So we'll need reminders to slow it down and quit with that. And not get greedy. But I do feel like maybe we can get back to 3rd at some point and get a change and have a good quality test at 3rd rather than a stressed angry ride. I hope so anyways. 

I do love him. And I feel so bad that I've screwed up so much lately. I know he'll forgive me. Maybe not immediately. But hopefully soon. And hopefully I'm right and not missing anything. I did have another moment of panic today because... after our ride... I watched Kelli ride. I got off and did some fascial work and TTouch work while I watched. And then when she was done (which wasn't a lot of work but seemed to be a long time between her getting tacked up, lunging, riding...then I hopped on him.... then she got back on), we went for a quick walk to the lake and back. Dan was fine. We got a drink and then another horse went by on the other side of the lake and they looked. Dan was fine... "oh, it's just a horse". But then that horse must have spun and bolted because they were suddenly cantering the other way and the rider started yelling at the horse. Both Dan and Marvin got all freaked out. Dan half thought about spinning and bolting but didn't. Then I started off and he got all spazzy. Like he was rooting and doing his tongue thing and snatching at the bit. It was so annoying. Like... just walk dude. For about 3 minutes he had a little "tantrum" and then we were walking and he mostly settled again. What the heck? Kelli was like... "it's cause he got all upset about that other horse". Maybe, but... that doesn't usually set him off like this. Not with his tongue. :( So now I'm wondering if I'm missing something... ulcers? Was he just done for the day and checking out? (Kind of like me... by the time we got back and I got Kelli to stop talking so I could go home because my head hurt and I was hungry and cranky... I was just done. I just desperately wanted to go home and not still be there). So ... who knows!? 

An onion. He's an onion. And it's like that stupid quote that I really don't like. "the difficult horses teach you the most". Sigh.. It's not that he's difficult. But he's not easy. And he certainly is teaching me a ton, and a lot about myself too. It's kind of scary how alike we really are. I work much harder at not being snarky to people (pinning my ears) than he does, but neither of us are very peopley or touchy feely. ha. 

Oh well. We'll see what happens as we go. I'm just going to keep trying to do my best for him. 






No comments:

Post a Comment