Friday, March 25, 2022

Homework Ride

 I managed to sneak in a little ride today to practice our homework. They were still working on the arena, so I stayed down by the round pen. Dan was a little bit up, but not bad. Funny was nickering and occasionally running, but Dan didn't really seem to be bothered by it. 

We basically walked and did our slow walk work. I tried my best to get him listening to my core and not having to rely on the reins. He did seem softer in the connection today most of the time. But his tongue was out for most of it. I ignored it and it settled down and was mostly in by the end of our ride. We did a tiny bit of turn on the haunches and leg yielding and... practiced our "leads" while we turned. We did a tiny bit of trotting, trying our best to keep him using his sling and uphill and then coming down to a walk before we lost it. He tried hard. And at one point, the dump truck was leaving and he almost spun me off, but... he didn't. Once he faced it, he was brave. :) So afterwards he got to graze on the clover by the trailer as a treat. :) 


I messaged Rana and she sent me this to help remind me. :) 


Lots of "this is my seat saying whoa" and "this is my seat saying go". Big praise when he gives you a whoa or go off your seat! Remember to use your hauches in/out and shoulder in to help you engage his topline especially when he tries to play tug of war. Eventually, he'll let you hold and balance him with your seat and allow you to let go in the rein. The goal is that you can start to allow and encourage him to stretch down and lengthen his topline without changing his speed and balance. You may only get a couple of steps before it falls apart again and that's OK. Just keep at it, ignore his negative comments. You're totally capable! Believe in yourself! You're his physical therapist right now and no one likes physical therapy. Maybe even mix it up with some tight cavaletti to encourage lift! But don't let him run

😉

No comments:

Post a Comment