Thursday, March 31, 2022

Riding with Kelli

Ugh.... Dan and I rode today and tried to do our homework. But his stupid tongue would NOT stay in his mouth. We did our homework despite it and then went for a short hack. When we got back I asked Kelli to look and we ended up raising the bit up in his mouth a hole on each side. She also noted that when she touched his bars, he was reactive and tried to stick his tongue out. So.... she mentioned that maybe I should pay extra attention to how I was asking for contact.. ie, not by pulling down. So, I hopped back on bareback after our ride to try and before I could even pick up the reins, his tongue came out. UGHHHH.... So then we tried Marvin's bit on him and it was the same. I'm so sad and frustrated. Even if I can fix his shoulder issue and get him back to third level, now I won't be able to show because of his stupid tongue. And I can't even event like that. I mean, I can, but... the dressage will suck there too. Sigh..

We did come to the conclusion that perhaps it's a habit now and just a fun game for him. Which.... yay that it's not stress or discomfort anymore (I mean, he did it on the trail on the buckle while totally relaxed and he did it before I even picked up the contact), so... the plan is to keep the bit up high, keep the flash on, and... hope he forgets and gives up. While also doing all the other things to keep him happy and comfy and not stressed. Kelli is also going to bring me another bit to try to see if that helps with his tongue too.  





No comments:

Post a Comment