Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Bear with me...

 Today has been a rather emotional day. And I believe I'm hormonal again. I got up early to get Dan ridden because I had Dr. Barrows coming at noon to do foot rads on all the ponies and then I had Dr. Febles coming later this afternoon to do teeth on all the ponies. 

So I got up and got everyone fed and then Dan and I headed to Ashland. I tacked up and put on the new bit again, with no flash and we headed to the arena with the pivo. I didn't have a ton of time so I did a tiny bit of in hand work and then got on and tried to do our pillar work under saddle. It was better today. At least pillar 1 for sure. And maybe pillar 2. But it's like... any changes in gait and especially asking him to back/pillar 2... he braces immediately. And then asking for pillar 3 is a hot mess. I can't figure out how to do it. I guess I need to go back and watch the videos and read the instructions again. I didn't stress it today during the ride, but tried a little bit... went back to pillar 2 and got a successful one or two and quit. He didn't necessarily rein back smooth, but he shifted back a hair and kept pillar 1. I think. I hope. Maybe he lost it a tiny bit but way better than before. Sadly, Pivo recorded but didn't save my recordings for some reason. Argh! Oh well. Oh, and... a tiny bit of chomping, but no tongue issues! Yay!

 

So then we went for a quick hack. We saw a raccoon scurrying across the pasture. And we saw some deer.  We did a short hack as I was running out of time, but we trotted some and we did some bigger hills. Dan seemed game. And we stayed in pillar 1 for most of it. And no tongue! Yay! Although I definitely need to get Cindy out to fix my saddle as I'm still feeling like I am being tipped to the right. 

 

So then we got home and he got some time to chill and I had lunch. Dr. Barrow did rads and his feet look pretty good! We just need to change the trim plane a hair to help get rid of his neutral to negative angles. So that should be an easy fix. Yay. Flecky on the other hand... did not have happy rads. His soles are still soooo thin but his ringbone on the right front has gotten way worse since last year. WAY worse. So I ordered him some osphos and we're going to try to get him in some sort of shoes to help him feel better. But... that's depressing. My old man is getting old. And at some point, I will have to make a quality of life choice for him. I mean... I knew it.. he's 25... but... it smacked me in the face today. 

 

Then, I had some time before Dr. Febles came but I just couldn't really motivate myself to do anything. I could have (and should have) adjusted Dan, or any of the others. I could have done nerve release work.. bemer... acupuncture... I could have done more pillar work. And I did try to do some pillar work with Lyric, but.. meh. I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with her. 

So then I came inside and just... pouted. I'm just bummed. I'm blue. I'm concerned that I can't seem to get Dan to do pillars under saddle despite being so good at them in hand. What am I missing? Is it me? Do I suck? Is he painful still? Is it his saddle? His feet? His stifle still? Or am I just going too fast and expecting too much? And then, if that's the case... ugh.. I'm so tired of being a good patient owner and waiting... and doing my homework. At this point (and it's just hormones talking... and frustration)... it's tempting to just say "eff it... I'll just ride him and enjoy him knowing he'll break down sooner, but at least we get to do fun things"!. Ugh... And I can't seem to get Lyric to get any releases or the full benefits of pillar work. I feel like I'm getting nowhere with her. And then poor Flecky...  And Funny, she's my "shining star" in some ways... but she's got wimpy boobs still and while I am so grateful I'm doing right by her... it's easy because I don't have a choice! I can't ride her yet. Sigh. So yeah.. just a blue blue day. And now I have to work tomorrow (because I took today off for vet day) and Friday, and supposedly it's going to rain all weekend... although that's looking better now. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be better tomorrow. Or by Saturday. 

And then Dr. Febles came. She said that Dan had a beautiful mouth! (Ha, of course... she's been doing him for years). But he was developing a slight wave in his incisors. To the left. Which correlates with the right hind stifle. So...hopefully it will be dramatically improved when she comes back in 6 months, and that may be a good indicator for me that his stifle is bothering him. (I mean.. I guess I should have better clues than checking his mouth every 6 months, but... when it's subtle, it's another piece of the puzzle). And also... there wasn't anything major, so no reason for him to get his tongue out relating to his mouth or teeth. Which.. yay, but... also sigh... 

So yeah. Tomorrow is another day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment