I was a cranky pants today. Well, maybe not cranky, but not a happy camper. Last night when I fed I realized Lyric was missing a shoe. Luckily I found it. Then this morning when I fed, Funny came hopping in on three legs!! No!!!! Luckily (I guess, considering...) she had twisted her shoe half off and stepped on the clip. And I think a nail too. Because when I pulled if off she flinched and stepped down and then flinched again. So either I created the nail hole in her sole by twisting the shoe more, or it was already stuck in there and I just aggravated it. It may have been the first one because she was bleeding when I got the shoe off. Sigh... Hopefully she won't abscess. So then I was a little late to work, but... I only had 5 horses so I was done by 12:30. Which... is great!!! Except it's a gabillion degrees out and a gabillion and one percent humidity, so I was hot and sweaty and cranky. And then I got a migraine and was exhausted. I stopped for lunch on the way home and got a Dr. Pepper but that didn't help. So once I got home I took a pill and laid down and tried to nap. I was down til almost 3 pm, so I guess I did sleep some. But then I was cranky because my migraine was gone but I still felt not great. And pissed off that I had this lovely free half day of work and didn't get anything accomplished. And it was too hot to ride and two of my horses were missing shoes. Ugh. So I ended up getting my oil changed and going to the grocery store and made it back in time to meet Russel, who luckily was able to come put shoes back on. Unfortunately we decided to leave Funny's off until Patrick comes next week because of the hole. He was afraid it would just pack stuff in it. Sigh... So then I was annoyed that now I won't be able to ride her for a week. And it's fine.. it's hot... it's just.. they just had a week off from the beach... and then next weekend I may not want to ride because of my biopsy... And I'm just mad. Mad at circumstances currently. But also aware that I'm being silly. So... Mike convinced me to go ride. But the radar showed rain. Sigh... Finally though I decided that enough was enough and even though it was hot and humid and I was cranky, I probably needed to ride. I decided to ride Dan because even though I wanted to ride Lyric more (mostly cause I'm worried about Dan), I figured it maybe wasn't fair to ride her right after her shoe got put back on and while I might get to ride Dan tomorrow before his vet appointment, I'm guessing I won't get to ride him all weekend because I'm assuming he'll get his stifle injected again. Which means... Lyric is going to be my only ride all weekend, so might as well ride Dan while I can.
So I did. And I'm glad. Because he was good and I feel sooooo much better now. Ahhhh. Smart husband. :)
I put Jenny's bosal on him with the side ear headstall. Suprisingly it fits! Not even on the last hole. No wonder it doesn't fit any of her horses. I'm not entirely sure I like the headstall. It's awfully close to his eyeballs and definitely needs to be darkened, but it fit decently and he seemed happy in it. I definitely need to make my reins longer though. Although I do like them. I don't think they are horse hair but they might be alpaca or mohair. And while I wish the bosal itself was darker, at least it's neutral enough. And it fits him well. And he worked well in it. So.. very kind of her because it's definitely a good quality one!
We had a good ride. We walked up to the arena and did a long walk warm up. Then we did the gate and the reverse gate. He's quite good at the reverse gate. Actually, he's being quite good at the gate both directions. I think he "gets it" now. I'm still telling him to "shut it... close it.. get it" at the arena gate but also telling him "leave it" at the obstacle gates, so I think he's smart enough to figure it out. We did some trotting and cantering. He felt sounder again. And he felt pretty round today. He's also good at neck reining because those reins were barely long enough to do anything but. His canter was pretty decent today though he fell out if the left lead once. But it felt good. We also practiced some circles and then some centerlines and staying straight! Because straight is hard. But he definitely isn't as runny today down centerline so that's good. Overall, a decent ride. He was a little braced at times and didn't soften quite as much as I wanted but he also, at the same time, seemed softer in his neck, if that's possible. Like... he wasn't as round but he didn't seem as braced while not being as round. So... I don't know.
I'm just grateful he was willing and we had fun. Because I definitely feel better now! And... no rain. :) Except now it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so we'll see if we can sneak in a ride before his vet visit. If we do, it'll just be a nice fun trail ride. I originally wasn't going to have time. I was going to be pushing it to get to my vet appointment on time after working on Marvin for Kelli, but she cancelled on me today. Which, is fine, and probably better. I just wish she had cancelled on me yesterday instead of today, because... I could have potentially moved Liz to today too. But oh well. It worked out fine in the long run. I was able to meet Russel and get my oil changed and nap off the migraine. And Liz may have had plans for today too anyways, so... all good. And maybe now I can get home and give Dan a bath and then take him for a hack at Ashland before our vet visit. And eat lunch too. :)











No comments:
Post a Comment