Monday, March 6, 2023

Homework!

 Whoo hooo! I got off work early enough today to hop on Dan. I'm so grateful for my current farm, my awesome arena, and this lovely weather today. I put on a tank top! And still had a few beads of sweat rolling down my chest and back! I mean, it is March, but barely!

So we did our homework. We walked on the buckle (Oh, I did swap out to my longest reins!) and focused on getting him to where he was carrying himself not just plodding along on the forehand. It would have been super to have my arena mirrors up, but.. I was able to look at our reflection in the sand. He was pretty good about it and I felt like we were accomplishing it! Then we went to the trot! He was good and we worked on all the things. He didn't seem quite as bad about going behind the vertical today. He seemed to stay neutral or with his nose out a hair at the trot today. Yay! Then we cantered and it was a little harder to do what I was supposed to. But I think I did. We had some decent canter too with him not relying on the outside/right rein. But it was hard to get him to take the connection reliably and when I dropped the outside rein, I was also dropping the inside rein most of the time. Oops! But still, I think we made progress. 

And then he got a little quick! I'm not sure if he was just excited... or fatigued, so he sped up to help make it easier for him. I'm guessing a teeny bit of the former and most of the latter. So we got a nice balanced slower trot and then we quit! 

Good boy!! He got a quick rinse as it was warm enough and he was a hair sweaty. Then he got to go back and munch all that new green grass!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment