Thursday, January 20, 2022

Trying out the Cavalettis

 Ugh.. today was a miserable nasty gross wet cranky day. But I sucked it up and took the kiddos out for a spin. I decided to take Dan and Funny around the neighborhood since it was so soppy. I figured that it was smarter than going to Ashland since it was starting to get late and if it really started to pour... well, I'm closer to home. So we did. They were both WILD! Right as I was about to get on something got them all riled up. They were spinning and snorting. But I got everyone settled and off we went. Dan was on the muscle and Funny even reared up! But onward we marched and they settled. There was a little bit of snorting and Dan stopped and thought about spinning and bolting when we saw some trash cans... and then again when we saw a horse trailer parked in the side of the yard. Although.... he was not thrilled and really alarmed and I was looking to see why and suddenly it was like.. the matrix shifted! It was like a ripple passed over the trailer. Creepy! But we were able to move past it, so... all good. :) 

We got back to the house and we went up to the arena and walked Funny around a bit. She saw herself in the mirror and was so curious. She was looking behind it too, like Dan did at first. And he was a little confused because... he saw the two of them and I think he was confused. I mean... do horses know what they look like? Like, maybe he pins his ears because when he sees his reflection, he doesn't know it's him. But then he saw Funny's reflection and he knows what she looks like, so... it had to have been confusing for him. Right?!?! 

Anyways, we trotted a little stretch and then I turned Funny out and got back on Dan. The cavaletti's were calling our name. It was pretty sloppy so we stayed in the non deep parts. But yay!! He cavalettied normally today! He was quite lofty! Of course he couldn't hold it once we exited the cavaletti's. Or I couldn't hold him to help him hold it. Or Both. It was also super sloppy, so... We also did a teeny bit of trot and canter and worked on sitting and faster hind feet. We got some SUPER transitions and a decent canter half pass once each way. And by then it had started legit raining and was getting cold. And the footing was sloppy. And I didn't want to push it. But oh, how I really wanted to keep riding. Oh well. We hacked home and put some warm clothes on and rewarded him for working. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment