Monday, September 6, 2021

AEC: Stadium Day!

So... stadium day! Thank goodness Dan had moved stalls because it was raining. Which meant at the old barn I would have had all my stuff under cover but if the wind was blowing, it'd be wet. And the washrack was in the open. But this way.. he stayed nice and dry. my stuff stayed nice and dry (for the moment anyways) and the wash rack was covered AND had hot water! He wasn't that dirty but he still got a bath and then I braided him. Because... we were in 13th place! And we never pull a rail! (ha... ugh...). 

So.. We were ready! I even had my spotted rearing unicorn stock tie on. And it was still raining. But out we went. Again, as usual, I got on too early but.. I was a little afraid a few people would bail. I mean.. if you were down in the rankings, had a long drive home, and it's pouring rain..... ??? So I didn't want to miss my ride time because they weren't waiting! So off we went into the rain. It was a long hike to stadium. But I laughed and decided we were getting the full Rolex experience! We tromped happily along and eventually got to warm up. We walked and trotted and cantered on the buckle. Then I jumped a few jumps. Dawn was super sweet and was there watching. Dan was really kind of behind my leg and not really jumping, so I asked for a little bit of help and she did! I got him moving and he jumped better. We did a few... then went back to walking as we still had plenty of time. All in all, I think we spent an hour in the pouring rain. I was soaked through and through and my tack was sopping. We jumped a few more again and then walked. And then trotted to stay warm because now that we were wet, it was a hair chilly. Finally it was our turn to go into the other warm up area. Next to the stadium ring. So we jumped a few jumps there and he felt pretty good, so then we walked again. And again. And finally.. finally it was our turn! It was weird as I felt much more peaceful. Like, not really that nervous. Which... I should have been super nervous! And it wasn't as much peaceful in that I knew we had it... more ... utterly spent and exhausted I think. ha ha. I think the entire week had done a number on me and I was just spent. I did remember to turn my helmet cam on before we walked down the hall! Because how cool is that?! And bless Dawn for getting photos! We got inside and stood a minute while the other rider finished and then it was our turn. And again, sadly, I was so much in the moment of riding him that I forgot to take it all in. But we started off. The first fence he chipped too so then I sent him forward and we had good fence 2 and 3. Fence 4... I held or didn't push... and he pulled a rail. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Oh man!! Then the next fence in the line was kind of icky too. But then we got it together and finished the rest of the course quite nicely and more correctly. But... that one rail dropped us out of the ribbons. We would have tied for 9th. But now we finished 18th. Still, 18th out of 51 with a dressage boo boo and a rail isn't too bad, but.... if you aren't first, you're last, so...  ha! I did give him pats and told him he was a good boy and then we headed back. We got to the gallop lane and he got fussy and started to cavort. I didn't want any injuries in the mud and it was downhill there too, so I settled him. Then I realized that maybe he knew I was disappointed and thought it was in him. So I told him how amazing he was and how cool it was that we had just done all the things. I told him how proud I was of him for being a big time kid. He didn't spook going down the alley... he didn't freak out in the big arena. He put on his professional pants and did everything I asked of him all weekend long. And I really am so proud of him for that!! He didn't get scary.. he didn't get silly (well, not crazy silly). He was fun and a good buddy the whole time. He never complained. Really, he was stellar!! And quite frankly, he did do everything I asked. I held... so he added. Had I asked for the slightly longer spot, he would have gone. I am pretty sure that my body aids were asking for the left lead instead of the right. So YAY US! We came, we finished! We may not have conquered but in the words of Cindy.... "Eff Beginner Novice... moving onward and upward to Novice!"... because as she reminded me.. I didn't really want to do BN anyways. hee hee... Darn skippy. ;) But still.. I wonder what cool color the 9th or 10th place ribbons were. 


Oh, and another cool thing. They did commentary again! And... she was saying how her husband had to refrain from cussing but he loved my horses name because... he wasn't cussing!! hee hee. And apparently, Karen's computer froze while she was recording for me, but during the freeze part, Dorothy Crowell was talking about how I had Dan nice and uphill! YAY!!! We've been working so hard on that! They also were shocked that I had a rail. Which was a nice little pat on the back after having that rail. So cool!














So, we walked the whole way back.. still in the rain. As we got to the jog runway a HUGE horse van was pulling in. The driver was super cool and going super slow and Dan got freaked out anyways. The guy noticed and slowed even more.. then stopped. And Dan was just vibrating and threatening to spin and bolt. Luckily a cute little paint was coming up and she offered to walk with us, but was going the opposite way. At that point Dan had decided the van was fine and I waved the guy on and Dan was cool. Hee hee.. Big bad Rolex horse. ;) So then we headed back and I got him all cleaned up and settled with his hay and then I began the job of drying out my clothes and tack. I ended up spreading things out and then went and started packing up the trailer. And then hitching... And then I came back and packed up the stall side.. then the stall. Luckily we didn't have to strip stalls, so... I put two or three loads of the new clean fluffy shavings in the trailer and finally we had everything all ready to go. At this point it had stopped raining and was hot and muggy. I decided to leave Dan naked because.. it was good footing and just BN stadium and... he was getting turned out when we got home, so... naked we went. 

The drive home was good. But man... I was soooooooo tired. Luckily Dawn and I caravanned. I started in the lead but after 2 hours told her I was literally falling asleep, had to pee, and desperately needed a coffee or something. And also gas. So we stopped and then I made her lead. And then I was able to stay a bit more awake. We made it home in good time and Dan was super happy to be home. Funny was thrilled to see him again! 



Photo credits to Xpress Foto and Shannon Brinkman Photography. And me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment