Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Weather chaos and heart chaos

 The weather was wild today! We knew it was coming. The rains started last night (luckily AFTER I got the hay unloaded and feed unloaded). It was supposed to rain from about 8 pm last night until this afternoon. And there was supposed to be storms and high winds and tornado warnings and flood warnings. And it was a doozy! But we are lucky because it was nothing that caused any real issues. I went to bed with a nice steady heavy rain on the roof... woke up to some lightning and thunder and then went back to bed. And managed to sleep in until about 9 am! I guess the horses were happy enough being soggy and out in the rain and didn't bother coming in to bother me for breakfast. But it was still raining. It was weird though because it was supposed to be pretty chilly last night until about midnight and then start warming up. It went from like 35 to 55. But with the rain and wind they were okay still in the blankets. 

I got stalls cleaned and fluffed and tossed hay in them and got everyone in for breakfast. I ended up locking them in because I figured they would be happy to eat their hay in their dry stalls. And good thing I did because it got really bad for a bit! The winds picked up and came in sideways and the rain came down! There was literally a river in front of their stalls... it even swept one of the rubber floor mats down the aisle and into the driveway. There was a river coming off the pasture into the driveway. It flooded the parking spot where my car stays and flowed into the culdesac. And there was some thunder. So I think the ponies were actually a little bit grateful. I left everyone in until about 2 pm when the weather finally stopped. Luckily it wasn't that windy or that heavy of rain the entire time, but I believe we got about 5 inches total! 

Then once the storm left the sun came out and it got almost warm. Except every once in a while the winds would blow and they were bitter cold! I spent the morning doing records and invoices and catching up on a few things. And then after I turned them out I decided to go run some errands that I have been desperately needing to do. So I did. But then I got cranky because it was actually beautiful out! The sun and clouds were such a cool look and it wasn't freezing cold. It was.. pleasant. So I ran to Loganville and dropped off the recycling, mailed the horse blanket to Elise, deposited some checks, went to the chiropractor for me, went grocery shopping and dropped off some stuff for goodwill. The only thing I didn't d that I desperately need to do is get my oil changed on my car, but it's so full of junk right now that I had to take Mike's car to run my errands. Doh. 

When I got home it was almost 5 but I had 45 minutes til the sun sets, so.. I unloaded groceries and grabbed Dan! We did a speedy tack up and at this point, the winds had picked up and it was chilly!!! And Dan was a little spooky! But I hopped on and we hacked out to the culdesac to head up the driveway to the arena. It was so pretty!

(Dan's face when he realized we were going for a ride!! IN THIS WEATHER!? Ha ha.. not really, I took this after our ride. Hee hee)

 
We headed to the arena and holy cow.. it looked great! There was a little bit of wash out at the gates and a few puddles, but not bad at all considering how much rain we had! Whooo hooo!. We did a short warm up and then picked up the trot. And dangit.. he's still lame. :( Nooooo. More so than the other day. So now I'm wondering if the generic previcox is any good. He was on bute for my lesson with Kelly. Hmmmm. Except his robaxin came today so I started him on that tonight, which means if I switch him back to bute I won't know which is which. Sigh... I guess I'll give it a few days. 

 
Anyways... we had a short ride. I focused on the rehab riding like we did in my lesson. And he was happy to keep working and even got a little animated. Although he still just feels like he's struggling to get his hind end moving. Maybe he felt better because Kelly had the lunge whip of encouragement? Or maybe it was the bute? I don't know. But yeah.. we did a short ride and enjoyed the view and then headed back since it was getting dark. I do love how he tries and always shows up for me. 

  





No comments:

Post a Comment