Saturday, January 6, 2024

Soggy ride

 Today was an icky day. But, we got lucky. It rained all night long but it stopped this morning and didn't rain again! Yay! The arena was a little soggy but not too bad. 

I decided since I had time I would bring both saddles up to the arena. I started in the horrobin and he still felt lame. Sigh... Okay... so then I switched to the County. And man... that feels weird now. I'm definitely not liking those big knee blocks anymore, but I did feel more close to him. However, it maybe sort of felt like he dropped his back a little.... and maybe that was why I felt more close to him?? But I felt more uphill, so I'm not sure if the balance on my Horrobin is a bit off or if it's just the design. So... I started trotting again. And... it was weird. He felt better in ways and worse in others. Like.. maybe not as lame but then he felt more hollow and more resistant. But then he sort of wanted to run. And he felt more lame going to the right. So we kept at it for another few minutes... because I wanted to give it a chance. And I still don't know. I just felt like it was pinching his wither sides and he felt more inverted, but.. maybe he felt sounder. So then I put him back in the horrobin and he felt smoother and less inverted again. And then he sort of didn't feel lame anymore. So, we kept working. And sometimes I would feel it. Sigh... it's so weird. Oh, and cantering in both saddles.. he's still falling out of the left lead. But we did get some lovely upward transitions. So, I kept riding and just kept it short and simple and did more transitions and spent less time in each thing. We did a canter serpentine (shallow) both ways and he held it. We did some canter to trot to canter to trot to canter transitions. Not rapid fire... but more quick than we usually do. And we had a lengthen across the diagonal that started okay but then we lost it. 

So yeah... I have no idea. I started to have another little meltdown. I just don't know what to do. Do I just keep giving it more time. He's dragging his hind feet when we started again. Do I take him back to Dr. Kate? Dr Keelin? Try Dr. Kim? Try Dr. Carter? Just... let him be a trail horse? Do I try sorting cows? UGH.... and I'm supposed to have a lesson tomorrow with Kelly and I can't decide if I should take him and get her opinion again. Should I just take Lyric and not keep riding my lame horse? Except.. he seems happy to work. He's not fussy really. He will occasionally bite at his shoulder but he's not chomping on the bit and his tongues not coming out. So I don't know... I don't know what to do. 

I got off and walked him back home so I could carry his saddle. And we snuggled some more. That's the other thing. He still seems snugglier a good bit of the time. What does that mean?? That the CBG is just chilling him out? That he's not as painful as he was? Maybe the ritetrak has finally kicked in??? UGHHHHHH

I had sort of decided that I would put him on Robaxin tonight and tomorrow and take him for my lesson. But of course... I have zero robaxin. Darn it! I ended up giving him bute tonight instead of previcox and will give him bute tomorrow and take him. See what Kelly's opinion is. See if the bute makes a difference. Maybe it's the stupid generic previcox  not working as well. 

It would be a lot easier to give up on him if he wasn't so fun and talented and wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment