Thursday, January 11, 2024

Patience.... I have none

 Well.... Sigh... Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since we injected Dan's hocks and honestly... I'm not sure I'm feeling any difference. I was able ride today but rode at home because of timing. And he felt about the same. It's a weird feeling. I can't decide if it's front end.... front left? Right hind? Left hind? Back? He felt worse tracking left as usual but then he felt pretty darn good in our lateral work. Is it because I put spurs on? Maybe? Maybe he's just doing it despite hurting because I have spurs? I wasn't using them for that reason... more for a bit more activity in the hind end as when Kelly had the "whip of encouragement" he felt sounder. But again, is it really sounder or is it just ... being covered up? But today our lateral work at the walk felt pretty darn good actually. We even had a decent trot half pass both ways though I only did it once. I didn't do much cantering today either but that maybe felt a hair better. He did feel like he was falling down to the left in the hind end, but he wasn't really haunches in. So yeah, I have no idea. I've been praying for God to tell me what to do. And I'm not hearing anything. Or maybe I am, but then I'm ignoring it because it's not what I want to hear? I don't know. 

 

Anyways... It was warming up today so Danny only had his 100 gram on today. I'm sure he was freezing this morning but when I got home he was a bit toasty underneath. So I didn't want to leave his clothes on when I rode Lyric so of course he was filthy because he rolled. Luckily he rolled in the grass so he wasn't super filthy. But it was pretty bad. He's also shedding too! After we rode he wasn't too terribly sweaty because the sun was starting to set so it was cooling down a bit. I still didn't know what to do. I debating injecting his LS joint because... I could do it for free (well, cost of meds), and it sort of fits with him dragging his toes, no real change with the hock injections, and feeling a bit disunited and it being unclear where he was lame (although maybe not to a true lameness vet). Plus, it's been a year (I think) since Dr. Kate diagnosed him and treated his lower back (or crud.. has it been 2 years??) so... maybe that's what he needs since we've done his hocks, stifle, and neck within the last 3 months or so. But then... if I do that.. it's more steroids (and it's only been two weeks tomorrow since his hocks), it may not be his LS joint that's bothering him... if it's not, then I have to wait longer to inject something else (although I suppose I could use a biologic and if that's necessary then maybe I do just need to retire him to trail riding), and.. I wasn't sure he would cooperate with just me doing it (Ie, no cookie feeder). So I prayed... I prayed God would give me an answer... and quick. Because.. I have no patience. I decided that if I was going to inject his lower back, now would be a good time. Tomorrow we'll get washed out by the rain and wind (and hopefully NOT tornadoes) and then Sat and Sun I'll be in Aiken with Lyric. Although in theory I could ride Dan saturday morning before we leave. And then Monday I have to work, although it looks like I may get done early and won't ride Lyric as she'll deserve the day off. Although I suppose by Monday that will be his 3 days off. Maybe I can take him and Funny and trail ride at Ashland as his first ride back. She's due for a hack there too! Or just take her I guess. 

 

Anyways... I decided to just do it. Before I rode I palpated him and he was reactive and flinchy there. And after I rode, he was a bit reactive still. I took out the magic stick and couldn't find any reactivity in his hock (like two days ago) nor his stifle or SI Joints... Granted, I didn't check his front end...  And there was a little reactivity at the LS joint... so I figured I would just do it. I prayed and told God that if He didn't want me to, He should say something. And maybe He did... maybe I don't listen. Because when I went to get the stuff ready while Dan was in the cross ties Jean's horses went galloping around. Great!!! That's conducive to sticking a 4" needle in your horses back. But they only did one stretch and Dan didn't mind. And then he was perfect! I put the bemer cuff on his neck and scrubbed him. He was DIRTY!! Now he's got a sparkling white LS joint though. And then I started the bemer again and just... went for it. He was PERFECT. He didn't even flinch. And man.. his LS was rather crunchy and tight feeling. But I was able to get the needle in and got him injected. GOOD BOY!!! Seriously good boy. He didn't even have anyone feeding him a cookie!

 

So... guess we'll see what happens. Probably a big fat lot of nothing... but I'll keep praying and hoping He forgives me for not waiting for an answer. And that He does give me an answer... 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment