Thursday, October 5, 2023

Vet Visit


I was tempted to ride Dan this morning before our vet visit because the lameness really only shows up when he's fatigued and it's pretty subtle and intermittent. BUT... I ended up dragging the arena and setting up the small dressage ring (just the corners and some poles, nothing fancy) and the grid for Lyric's prep and by the time I finished that, there wasn't enough time to ride. So.. we didn't. Which, was probably a good thing.  

We got to the vet clinic and I unloaded him. And he noticed the halloween decor. And he got about 19 hands tall and his eyeballs were bugging out of his head! Hee hee... He was brave though and it didn't take long to convince him to go say hi to "bones". And very quickly he sniffed him and I was able to snap this photo. And then he was fine. 

I told Dr. Barrow what was going on and that it had been a year since we had injected his stifles and maybe it was that.. or maybe it was all feet. Jillian jogged him for us. She's so good with him. He likes her. He looked okay to me on the the straight away but as soon as we put him on a circle... Crap, the boy is LAME!! Yikes. Like... dang, that's not subtle or intermittent. That's bad! Granted it was on concrete and granted he'd been off bute or previcox, but jeesh. I felt so bad for what we had done in the field the other day now. Sorry dude! No wonder you weren't happy to jump. Dr. Barrow tried to flex his stifle and he swung out at her. Um, no sir!!! He let her flex it a bit and then trotted off more lame, so... yep, time to inject that stifle. I opted for Prostride this time. He did well for his injection and hung out til his drugs wore off. We headed home and unfortunately he had to stay in a stall for at least one day. I gave him the patio and the little section of grass too in front of the gate. But it was hot enough he spent most of the day in the stall. I locked a friend next to him too, so he was happy enough. I left him and Funny in overnight and they were remarkably quiet. Or I was tired enough that I slept through it. I did hear them first thing in the morning. I ended up just turning him out and going back to bed briefly before I went back out to feed. He still looked sore.. almost lame at the walk. But, I know it'll take awhile to kick in, so.. don't panic. 



No comments:

Post a Comment