Sunday, October 1, 2023

ahhhhhhhhhh

 Today was a weird day. I think it's somewhat PMS... somewhat... life?? I almost didn't want to ride. And I've been busy and have a ton to do and felt like I wasn't accomplishing much. But I did get up and go for breakfast with Mike. And then when we got home, I opted to clean out the gooseneck part of the horse trailer to get ready for RRP. That took me awhile but.. it's all cleaned out and somewhat organized. At least until I get more packing done. So that helped me feel more accomplished. And then... I didn't know what I wanted to do. I felt like I needed to ride, but... I kept putting it off for a bit. I finally got motivated enough and decided that I would ride Lyric and do some dressage and then ride Dan. Although I was tempted to take both of them to Ashland for a trail ride. But I felt like Lyric was going to not want to get on the trailer. I couldn't decide if dressaging at home was better than hauling to Ashland. And I thought that after I rode her, I could hack Dan around the neighborhood. Or maybe take him to Ashland, but... it would take up so much more time. Sigh.. Anyways, so I went out to catch the ponies and gave all 4 cookies. I gave Lyric her cookie before Dan's, so after I gave Dan his, I went back to catch her and she... started to walk away from me. And kept walking. And kept walking. Sigh... My feelings were hurt. My ... "pride" was hurt. I want to be a better horseperson than that. I don't want my horses to walk away from me. Sigh... So I turned around and Dan was there and... didn't move away when I put the halter on so... guess we ride Dan! 

Thanks for making me feel better buddy. Of course he did his "must stop and poop or pee" 3 times on the way to the barn. And then... I decided... I really just didn't want to ride at home. I really wanted to go hit the trails. I didn't want to dressage again. And since Lyric clearly wanted the day off... why not!? I called Mike to make sure he didn't mind and then Dan and I headed to Ashland. 

We were the only ones there and it was a gorgeous day. Warm and toasty, and poor Dan has already fluffed his coat up, but a lovely breeze and not humid really. We tacked up and Dan was cranky. Sigh... I swear... I feel like I'm doing all the things for these guys... why are they cranky? :( (Okay... Lyric, I know why...). But I bribed him with some cookies and he was better. He was still spooked about the upper arena but not nearly as bad as last time. We tacked up and put the dragonfly on and headed out. He wanted to go to the little dam so we headed that way. We walked for a good long while and I picked some random different paths to try to get some hills. Then I decided to do some fitness so we did some long trots. I also practiced pushing my heels down and putting my weight on my heels vs my toes. Yeah, I can feel the burn. We then ended up in the halfshire field and had a little canter. They were fluffing hay in the hay fields so I knew that the tractor was out there. We decided to canter from the halfshire field to the open hay field and our timing wasn't great. Ha! We came around the barn and the corner right as the tractor did. I didn't think Dan would care honestly. He saw it. It's a tractor (not a sprinkler)! But maybe because it came up on us quick.. or because he could.. he spooked and ran hard right, almost ducking behind the barn. Hee hee. I don't think the tractor guy even saw us. Luckily I managed to not get tipped off and got him stopped and then we came back out and carried on. hee hee. I was on a mission...  a cantering mission. 

We did a bit more around the field and the other field. I tried to get some right lead canter too but everytime he got fast on the straight aways he would swap to the left. Oh well. He was huffing and puffing now because... it was a fair amount of cantering and again, it got hot again and he has a coat. Plus he STILL doesn't have his doxycyclene for his cough. Ugh. I ordered it a week ago! It better come tomorrow. 

Anyways... we did lots of walking to relax and then trotted alongside the creek. Then I let him pick his path and he picked the great northern to go straight up. Lots of butt work! We ended up in the XC field and I wanted to make sure he was still sound. Or see if he wasn't. He definitely worked hard today and while he was more in "long trot" mode and not collected mode, he occasionally felt like he was getting a little weak behind. So I wanted to feel him out. We went to the flatter area and picked up the trot and he felt great. So then we cantered and he felt great. And then.. I wanted to jump at least one of the new XC fences and thought that the novice table looked fun. So we cantered to that. He stopped! What?! I honestly don't think he realized we were jumping. I circled and came back to it and he was fine. So then we carried on and he was looking at the new trakehner. I know buddy, me too! Me too! So... why not?! We did. He jumped it like it was no big deal. So then we carried on and did the cabin and then I wanted to do the table again. We went downhill this time and he sort of slid as our striding was off. So then we did a few more jumps to get some good jumps in instead of the awkward distance we were getting on occasion. Then we cantered down to the lake and had a good splash! Even by himself, he had fun and played today. 

Then we walked back and he wanted to take the long way, so we did. Ahhhh... I think we both needed that. We both enjoyed ourselves! Although I do feel a little bit like he's not quite wanting to sit down and use his hind end. He was happy enough to lope along and be a little more strung out. I think that's partly why our jumps weren't great. He was fine and did them all and some were even pretty, but... it wasn't quite the same powered up feeling it's been the last few times. So even with the bute.. I think there's still some soreness. Or reluctance. No chomping or tongue issues, but... all the same. I'll give him some bute tonight since we did a lot and then he can be without until Tuesday when he gets checked out. I also will give him tomorrow off. I can't decide if I should ride first Tuesday or not though. He tends to show it more when he's fatigued... so maybe I should so they can see it. Because it's still sooooo subtle. 

Anyways... good pony!! The dragonfly hung on for the ride too!



























No comments:

Post a Comment