Tuesday, October 17, 2023

A cure for a horse show hangover

 


Oh how lucky am I?! I'm so grateful that I took today off. I figured I'd be exhausted from RRP and didn't know how late I'd get back. (Not that late) And I'm so glad because I did NOT want to work today. Especially since I'm hurting from my neck surfing and fall. It was quite a damp and chilly day. I slept in (a tiny bit) and did some housework in the morning. I was waiting for it to warm up a bit to go ride. Finally around 1:45 I headed out. As Dan and I pulled out of the neighborhood, it looked rather dark and like it might rain. I checked the weather app and it said "moderate rain from 2 pm to 4pm". Seriously?! Ugh. I almost turned around. But... I didn't. And I'm so glad I didn't. 


We had an awesome ride. And we never got rained on. It sprinkled a tiny bit while I was driving to Ashland and then Mike said it rained at home for a good hour while I was gone but it never rained at Ashland. Thanks God! We did a quick walk around the small lake and then up the hill in the cross country field. Then we went to the arena and did some dressage work. I wanted to feel him out. He felt pretty good. Not perfect.. maybe I could still feel the odd hind end lameness a few times. But it wasn't consistent and not as obvious as it has been. And he was pretty happy to work. Though, honestly, I expected him to be feral! He's had over a week off. He got Prostride in that stifle almost 2 weeks ago. It was cold and windy. He should have been FERAL! But he was the opposite. He was almost a slug! I mean... he wasn't a slug. He went. He just was kind of lazy. Okay. :) 


We had a good ride though. Nothing crazy and probably only 25 minutes in the dressage arena. We played a little bit with some lateral work and our canter work. His canter felt very collected but soft though. We even got a good canter to walk once. Interesting. At first I was worried but then I realized it was a nice lovely canter. 



He was a super good boy and I didn't want to get him tired or fatigued so we had some good canter transitions and called it quits. And hit the trails. He was even more of a slug on the trails so we basically went to the lake and back. Lazy bum! 


 










 

I got in yesterday afternoon and they were all happy to see me. Dan was happy to have his butt scratched. Welcome home Mum! Doh!



No comments:

Post a Comment