Friday, April 14, 2023

Weather transitions and gait transitions

 Christy is coming today but not til 2:30 so I have time to ride both! Assuming the weather cooperated. Which it did.. kind of. ;) The weather yesterday said at first it would be raining at 8 am.. then it changed to 1 pm. Then back to 8 am before I went to bed. So I didn't set an alarm and figured I would just get up when I got up and if it was raining, I'd go back to bed. Luckily it wasn't raining when I woke up. Yay! I got them fed and ate some breakfast and let them munch on their hay. The weather channel said no rain til about 1ish. So I rode Lyric first since I wanted to see if she was sound after her shoe got fixed. It was beautiful out! The sun came out and it was a glorious morning. 

So then it was Dan's turn. The skies started looking dark so I checked the weather channel again and now it was saying the rain was coming in sooner... about 11:30. And it was about 11. Well.. guess we better get rolling buddy. There was a few tiny spritzes when I was tacking up. I noticed spots on my saddle but never felt them. But we carried on. We walked up to the arena and did a very tiny bit of pillar work and then I hopped on. We did our long walk warm up and it took him a minute to get rolling. Then we did some trotting and he felt good. We got some nice work! And then, the sky really started to look ominous so I went ahead and did some canter early. It still feels way better but it's still weak. So today we did lots of short canter stints and even played with some transitions. We would get on a large circle and canter 1/2 then trot 1/4 then canter 1/2, then trot 1/4. We also did some serpentines with simple changes through the trot. He was game and happy and trying. Then it started to sprinkle so we went back and got a good trot and did a tiny bit more canter. Then it started raining and the clouds were dark everywhere, so.. we got another good trot and called it a day. :) But it was a good work out even if we both would have happily stayed out longer. 

I tried to rinse him off and left them in their stalls so they would be dry for Christy. Good thing because it was coming down hard by this point. 

Christy came and we worked on Dan first. She thought he was hilarious. He was in full Danimal mode and was just a wiggle worm. But he enjoyed her work. And she made some good changes! 














No comments:

Post a Comment